Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
sensitivity to cold
An_205227 posted:
I've just recently become very sensitive to cold; in December of '08 I started to get this shocking, intense pain in the middle of my forehead above my left eye in an area about the size of a quarter. The pain is brought on by a slight touch and lasts for a couple seconds in which I have to stop everything because it's so intense.
I've been on a number of medications: lyrica, gabapentin, indocin, tegretol & baclofen with only marginal relief with lyrica and baclofen. The kicker about this is once summer rolls around I don't feel any pain at all, it's only in cold weather. I've seen several neurologists who can't seem to explain what's going on (why it's so localized, why it occurs with just a slight touch, why it's present only in cold weather).
Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

Welcome to the Migraines & Headaches Community and thanks for sharing what you're going through with us.

In this WebMD article, a recent study on Weather As A Headache & Migraine Trigger , cites:

"One leading evolutionary theory is that getting a headache is a protective mechanism against adverse environmental stressors. The theory goes that headache pain would cause someone to seek a safer, more hospitable environment. The fact that changes in weather and extremes in heat and cold cause headache, some experts believe, gives credence to this theory."
There are other interesting points in that article as well as tips for coping with migraines triggered by the weather. Check it out and let us know if you find relief.

I am sure some of our other community members also experience headaches from the weather, too, and will be chiming in with their tips soon!

carpetcrawler5 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Good article, although even tho I read everywhere that people with headaches are more sensitive to pain, I have found that over the years I can take more pain than others, since beging in pain so often.

I have heard of the type of headache we're speaking of before, and how cold can make it worse. Soemone in recent times had a headache implant to stop it.

outintherain replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the article. I imagine myself as having a fairly high level of pain tolerance; playing rugby for a number of years and having suffered numerous broken bones has dulled my sensitivity to pain. I had spent several months in India and then in China where the weather was hot, the stress was high (I was working) and I didn't have any problems; but as soon as I returned to cold weather here in the US, my head became sensitive again.
I'm curious what kind of studies are being done in resolving these pains other than packing up and moving to warmer climates or keeping a diary to identify triggers; have you heard of anything?

outintherain replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I've never heard of a headache implant, what's that?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
If you can trigger this by touching your forehead, just above your left eye, it may be Supra Orbital Neuralgia (an problem with the supra orbital nerve,

If it is one of the 2 nerves (supraorbital or trochlear, a pain doctor (or a neurologist) can to a simple injection to block the pain.

outintherain replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thanks for the feedback, that's the first time I've heard anything about Supra Orbital Neuralgia.
How does this differ from trigeminal neuralgia?

showupforlife responded:
I often get senstivity to cold before I get a migraine. To me it is a warning sign that I am about to get a bad or severe migraine. As a matter of fact I stay cold most of the time. I experience migraines and/or headaches a lot of the time and take preventive meds and an antidepressant. I have seen a neurologist for over 20 years and am scheduled to see a headache clinic at their first appointment which is seven, yes I said seven months from now. This was made for me back in January so you can only imagine my frustration! My regular neurologist has retired but my internist has been so good to me to continue prescribing my preventive medications and I see a psychiatrist for my antidepressant and for therapy. I have also found a wonder non-drug that works for me and they are so nice to work with! It has helped me to relax when I have a little or a severe migraine. It is from SootheAway. It is an electrical device that you wear around your forehead and it keeps your area of pain cool to cold (your choice) or warm to hot (again your choice). They also have a device for the back of your head or neck if that is where your pain is. It has brought great relief to me and I highly recommend it. You can find them on the Internet under www.sootheaway.com .
I am not compensated for this recommendation I just know it works for me when I will do almost ANYTHING to relieve my pain! If I could carry it to work with me I would! Check it out and see if it works for you. It has done wonders for me...

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to outintherain's response:
Trigeminal neuralgia is usually a much larger part of the face, the pain is much more severe, and happens spontaneously.

Supra orbital neuralgia can be treated with a fairly simple injection to numb up the nerve, trigeminal neuralgia usually requires fairly strong medication like Tegretol, or neurosurgery treatment.

carpetcrawler5 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Do those injections ever work for regular migraines, triggered by usual things?

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center