Includes Expert Content
Suffering dizzy spells cant drive/work
nannykimber posted:
I have suffered from mirgarines for 20 years. I recently have started having episodes that are severe dizzy spells. I am afraid to take our son on a walk I wont drive I seem to have stopped my life completly. I went to my PCP and he gave me a battery of tests lab workup included that turned up normal. He prescribed me antivert but that never took away the dizzy spells just made me feel like I was trodding through mud. Didnt make me groggy or take away the spinning feeling. I had almost 2 weeks that I didnt have a dizzy spell, then out of the blue I had another one. this time it has been 2 weeks. My PCP sent me to a neurologist who is trying to piece together what this may be. He has mentioned Meniere's Disease or this could be Migraine Equiviolent ( sorry didnt spell right) I go for an MRI this friday but after reading some of the posts I am wondering if its gonna turn up "normal". A friend of mine said to have them check for Acoustic Neuroma. I am scared. this is different than the mirgraines I have had before. I guess I am looking for some coping skills from people who have similar symptoms and a busy lifestyle too. I'm too young to just stop doing the things I love but I have to be realistic and learn how to work around this problem. Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nanny,

Welcome to the Migraines and Headaches Community and thanks for sharing!

According to WebMD, "a migraine with aura may often come with symptoms" (such as dizziness) "that begin about 30 minutes or less before the headache. These early symptoms are called a prodrome.The prodrome or aura may last for five to 20 minutes, or it may continue even after the headache subsides."

"If there are underlying causes for your headaches, your doctor will recommend treatment appropriate to the cause. If your headaches are determined to be migraines with aura, your treatment involves two goals:
  1. relieving symptoms
  2. preventing future attacks"

In the above article you'll find some tips for both relieving and preventing attacks. Please check it out and let us know if this helps!

I'm sure our community will also be chiming in soon, too. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

~Andie

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Theer is a certain type of migraine with vertigo but I forgot what it was called. Difficult to treat I heard but is treatable.

suzkish; responded:
I have migraine associated vertigo. Was treated for BPPV and vestibular therapy before finally seeing an ENT who suggested MAV (no one had suggested migraine to me although I suffered for a long time with what I thought were sinus issues). Put on nortrypteline (sp?) and take it daily. Headaches rarely happen. Vertigo pretty much gone.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
MRI scan will also evaluate for acustic neuroma, so if its normal, thats OK. Problems with the balance organs (vestibulitis and similar type of vertigo) will not show up on MRI scan either.

As Suzkish said, there is a type of dizziness called "migraine associated vertigo" which is a migraine problem. Many of the "normal" migraine medications work for MAV.

You might also want to see an ENT doc that specializes in dizzines or vertigo (not all ENT docs do, just like not all neurologists treat migraine). There are some specialized tests that can figure out if this is menieres disease.

An_205230 responded:
Been there done that have had migranes for as long as I can remember and I am 50 . started having dizzy spells last year and was diagnoised that this was also a form of migrane they did a hearing test to rule out vertigo. My neurogist put me on propranolo (inderal) 100mg time released 1 x daily it has seem to stop some of the epiosodes. but I am like you afarid to drive etc because had a dizzy spell while driving and had to pull of the side of road till it subsided was lucky that i could merge quickly because i was on a interstate, my migranes are for ever may go one day without one but make up the next day with one that it is hard to tell if I am coming or going . I work 40 hrs a week have two teenage sons at home and try to cope to the best I can also lucky that my place of work are understanding most of the time i work with lights off and use the sun for light thru shades in my office. Good luck .