Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Itching related to jaw pain and headaches?
rennsar posted:
Dr. Collins,

Could you kindly offer some insight into my situation. I am a 41 year old female and 2 1/2 years ago after returning from camping, I developed a slight raised rash on my ankle that brought on severe itching. A dermatologist prescribed a prescription hydrocortisone cream. The slight rash disappeared but the itching and tingling feeling extended to other parts of my body, face, heads feet, etc. The sensation is itching accompanied by a fleeting type of tingling sensation like something is crawling on my skin. My face was extremely sensitive to sensation from a stray strand of hair touching it.
At that time,I went through a full blood workup to test for Limes Disease and other infections. The tests all came back negative and the exasperating itching persisted for 4 months until it went away. Since that time I have had periodic re-occurances of the itching without any type of rash.

Three months ago, started seeing a dentist and internal medicine doctor to try to discover the cause of teeth pain, jaw pain, mostly on the left side but sometimes gravitated to the right side, and terrible headaches. We ruled out an abscess tooth and I went on two courses of antibiotics in case it was a sinus infection but the pain has not been completely cured. I was just going to explore the possibility of TMJ, when I developed numbing, tingling sensation on the left side of my face and neck. I went to the doctor two days ago and she ruled out a stroke or Bells Palsey. The numbing, tingling sensation has subsided quite a bit but was replaced by the re-occurance of the itching that I have been afflicted with in the past 2/ 1/2 years.

Is all this somehow related? Please note that I also had Shingles in 2005 and had gestational diabetes ( My yearly A1c has been coming in at the high end of normal). Could this be related to some type of nerve malfunction?

I'd appreciate any insight!
Thanks!

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Your condition sounds complicated. Maybe you're allegic to the anit-biotics?

Was the dr you saw a neurologist? You might want too see one. Shingles has weird symptoms, and it could be related to that.

allie_bf responded:
The facial symptoms sound a bit like trigeminal neuralgia, although that is usually more of a severe pain than a sense of tingling.

rennsar replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I haven't seen a neurologist yet but I think that might be the next step. I was wondering the same thing if it might be somewhat related to the Shingles.

rennsar replied to allie_bf's response:
If we rule out TMJ, my regular dr. is thinking trigeminal neuralgia might be a possibility which a neurologist could diagnose. I did have pretty strong jaw and teeth pain about three weeks ago. Can trigeminal neuralgia pain come and go, meaning can the pain be pretty strong for 4 weeks and then significantly decline for a couple of weeks and then come back? I think the headaches are equally painful if not more painful than the teeth pain itself.

Thanks!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Rennsar,

I don't know that I will be able to help you understand the rash/tingling 2 1/2 years ago.

The jaw pain sounds a little like "Atypical Face Pain" (also called "persistent idiopathic face pain". The cause of this is not usually found.

Regarding the tingling and other symptoms--did your doctor do a MRI scan to rule out a stroke? With your face pain symptoms, an MRI scan should be done, just to make sure you don't have a problem like acustic neuroma (a benign grown on the 8th cranial nerve-the nerve you hear with)

Its very hard to relate the itching now to a problem from 2-3 years ago. Other things for itching (don't know if you have looked for them) are any recent changes in soaps, fabric softeners, laundry soap, bug sprays around the house, scented candles (or similar home products).

Another thing to look at (with your pharmacist) is whether the generic manufacturer of your medications has changed. The medication (generic name) may be the same, but different manufacturer's use different "fillers" in the pills. I have had several patients over the years have a problem when their pill changed shape or color.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 109 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center