Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
am i in danger of an aneurism
endemic posted:
I've been depressed for many many years, pretty much my whole life, except for a few years where I thought things might be okay if I worked hard enough.

Anyway, a couple years ago I started getting headaches from work, but I'm really good at ignoring pain. I figured it was just because the work was difficult.

A few months ago, there was some 24 hours or so where I was really vomiting constantly, almost like projectile vomiting, just really bad. And I figured it was either anger, or food poisoning, or an aneurism. I had had some organic mushrooms in a stir fry earlier and I thought maybe the company that sold them had gotten a bad batch.

Anyway, I went to the emergency room and they heard "mushrooms" and thought, this guy went out into the woods and ate something, so they tested me for drugs and sent me home with some aspirin and an anti-psychotic which I didn't take. I was sort of hoping they'd give me an MRI.

There was also something either around that time or before where I lost the ability to move my left arm for maybe ten minutes. It was sort of like it fell asleep but it was like the whole arm up a little past the shoulder.

Anyway, its been a few months and I don't really have any problems but sometimes I worry that I'm just going to drop dead. I mean it wouldn't be so bad, but there's things I need to do first and so I'm just wondering.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Endemic,

I'm sure others will be responding when they get a chance but, in the meantime, I just wanted to welcome you to WebMD.

Take care,

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Have you tried Neurontin as an anti-depressive? It works well for me. What are you taking for your depression? I've heard Abilify can work for people who don't respond to other meds. What was the anti-phsycotic they gave you? If you took magic mushrooms even, that would still be odd for them to give you that. Maybe they thought you could use the drug, but they also don't usually give anti-psychotcs to people who are just depressed. It would be more for someone who is schitzaphrenic or bi-polar. Sorry about the spellling.

carpetcrawler5 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I hope this doesn't repeat itself. But the first one said that you should get an MRI to see if you have any anuerisms, but I think they are pretty sudden and wouldn't linger in your head.

allie_bf responded:
A few points.
First, definitely go back to the ER if you re-experience similar symptoms (i.e. not being able to move your arm,) or any other stroke-like problem. Your instincts on that were right on target.
Second, although MRIs or CTs are sometimes ordered, they usually will only be ordered if you have abnormal findiings on your actual exam by the emergency room doctor. In other words, it wouldn't have been the mushroom story that failed to get you the imaging, it was probably just that your exam was not worrisome (e.g. no pupillary changes, balance deficits, difficulty with speaking, etc.) Next time, if you are concerned about leaving the ER and still having some symptoms, you could ask if you could stay as an observation patient for a few more hours to make sure that there are no serious events. Third, do consider starting the antidepressant, there's no point in feeling miserable all of the time. As the other posters have noted, the antipsychotic class of drugs now is used for a lot of purposes. The choice of that drug was not a dismissal of your concerns, but a recognition that you probably have treatment-resistant depression, and the overlap with the migraine drugs means that it would be a better choice for someone with headaches.

endemic responded:
Okay, I guess I won't worry about it.

The anti-psychotic they gave me was for nausea, I forget the name. It was like 5 pills or something. As for depression, I'm not going to take anything for that, I'm depressed because I have no money. Pills aren't going to give me money.

Anyway, thanks. I still get nausea sometimes but its minor and that arm thing hasn't happened again, so it was probably nothing.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
First, it sounds like you had the "worst headache of your life" which should be checked out. Talk with your doctor about a neurology consultation. They will likely set up an MRI scan or CT arteriogram.

2nd, your headaches for the last couple of years are not likely from an aneurysm. There are other treatments for your headaches (which you could discuss with the neurologist your doctor sends you to.)

Helpful Tips

HELP!!!
I am a healthy 13 year old male and I have recently been having had pains. For the last 6 months i had intense head pain. I head random ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center