Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post Concussion Headaches
An_205240 posted:
Hi Everyone:
I was diagnosed with Post Concussive Syndrome on 2/13/2011 I got a mild concussion and Ive been getting headaches ever since, they are definatley migraine headaches, . But I wanted to know if anyone else has had PCS headaches longer than a year, the doctors say it should get better within a year and I want to know if there are people out there that do have them longer? and what did you do to take care of the headaches? ive been prescribed 12 different meds in the past month. It sucks, I hate having a headache every day! I was wondering how you coped with everything and how many years has it been since you have had a headache? and are you off from the medications? I want to feel normal again and I don't know when that will be, I almost feel depressed because its like i cant function in my daily life. i was just wondering if a doctor can tell when you had a concussion? I have had MRI, and CT scans and nothing came back. It all came back negative.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_160113,

Sorry that you are having migraines daily and hope you find relief soon.

I'm sure others will be responding when they get a chance but, in the meantime, I just wanted to welcome you to WebMD.

Take care,

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

carpetcrawler5 responded:
If it gets bad, and you have to function for one day because something important comes up, you could try taking Indomethicin. But only take it as a one day to 2 day thing, because it's hard on your stomach. So if you do, take it with food. Starchy food works the best.

Also try putting ice around your head, to bring down pain and inflammation. Order some Techni-ice, cut it into strips(this works best before you put them into water) then place them in warm water and let them puff up. Then wrap them into bandanas and freeze them. Then wrap one around your head.

allie_bf responded:
Yes, I still have headaches from a MVA-related concussion back in '04. I had migraines before the accident, but the postconcussive migraines were different than the earlier ones, and both co-exist today. The post accident migraines have no aura, and are in a different spot than the usual "classical" migraines that I get. The management, however, is pretty much the same since they are both migrainous: propranolol for prevention, and (oral) Imitrex for acute headaches. I had tried many other drugs, but have come back to my original two for chronic treatment. I have far fewer headaches now than I did immediately after the accident (when it was daily,) but it took probably 18 months before the frequency dropped significantly to its new baseline.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Unfortunately, some people with post concussion headaches keep having headaches for several years. in fact, one study found that up to 30% of patients still had headaches 1 year after their injury.

As someone has already said, the treatment is the same as with regular migraines---prevention medications and medications like imitrex.

There is no real test for concussion, because it doesn't show up on MRI scans or CT scans (there is a new technology with MRI scan that looks promising though)

mlabok replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
After banging his head on a wood beam under a deck, almost 2 years ago. My husband continues to have constant headaches. He's gone through all the standard tests, MRI, CT SCAN, XRAY. He's been to a neurologist, who prescribed medication and physical therapy. End result: headaches continued. He has gone to a Chiropractor for 6months, with neck cracking, ultra sound therapy and massage therapy. End Result: headaches continue. His latest doctor visit is with another neurologist. He performed cortisone injections to specific areas of his head. Followed by physical therapy. End Result to date: headaches continue. All the above gave some relief at the time and for a very short time after completion, only to have the headaches return within an hour.
He has since stopped all physical therapy and is seeing the neurologist again, in hopes of finding another solution to his constant headaches. Any hope out there?? Hate seeing him suffer so much for someone whose never had headaches before.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to mlabok's response:
Hi Mlabok and welcome to the community.

I am sorry for your husband's pain and hopes he finds relief soon. You are very caring to try and help him find answers. This is a great community filled with caring members. Please feel free to join our discussions.

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

carpetcrawler5 replied to mlabok's response:
I wouldn't go to the chiro anymore, it could just make it worse. Try using Indomethicin when it gets really bad and you have to function that day, but take it with food and not very often because it can bother your stomach. Try putting Ice around your head and neck. Get some Techni-ice and cut it into strips and soak them in water to let them puff up. Then wrap them in bandanas and freeze them, then wrap them around your head, It helps bring down inflammation and pain.

Also try using a TENS unit.

beautifulbuffalo replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
What is Indomethicin. It's not even in the drug index.
BB

eliotrenaisance responded:
I just go diagnosed with Chiari malformation which gives me headaches that are so bad that they can cause dizziness. I completely feel for you. I am not going to use pain medicines either. You might try bio feeback, meditation, massage and positive focal point images. I have done a lot of research since discovering my own mystery diagnosis. It is so painful that I cry somedays. I find that exercising is the best way to have no pain. I feel great and I have some relief. Chronic pain is a difficult beast, but keeping positive is the key. And as strange as it might seem, watching something humorous can help.

Dmsweet replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Although I have a history of migraines, I was in a car accident in 10/08 and ended up with whiplash. I was dx with a concussion and suffered short term memory loss. I'm stillhaving migraines and have tried so many medications it's not funny. Also, I'm still experiencing memory loss. Is this possibl e? Iwasn't aware concussions could last this long, but I'm living with one.

Dmsweet replied to allie_bf's response:
Allie, I'm sorry to hear about your issues, but I'm so thankful I read your post. I was in an MVA in 10/08 and while had migraines prior, am experiencing long term postconcussuve migraines as you did. Mine are every day and although we've tried most medications and therapies, they still persist. All the cortisone injections have failed, so next we're trying botox.

Thanks for sharing your story.

ptalbert responded:
I feel for you! I was in a car accident in 4/2010 and still live in the dark. As you have experienced, neurologists mostly do not know what to do about it. You get the standard attempts with various drugs and, if that doesn't work, they throw you on something for pain and tell you there's not much you can do. I'm sorry, but that's been my reality.

I live and work in the dark. I have an executive job, but I'm not nearly the person I was before the accident. Memory loss - both short and long term; dizziness; nausea; easy agitation; sensitivity to light and noise, etc. have been a nightmare. Because of the nausea - and subsequent vomiting - I have lost A LOT of weight and have to remind myself on a daily, if not hourly, basis that this isn't going to kill me.

My advice is find a support system, a doctor who believes you (because some won't) and a "headache room," that's dark and quiet.

I wish you much luck in finding a solution.

gmamamia replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Thank you all for your responses. I have a friend suffering from post concussion headaches, ,etc. I was wondering if anyone has tried TENS unit treatment for the headaches and for the other problems like sleep problems. Would there be any risk to use it ? Also wondered if anyone has tried magnesium or cinnamon for the headaches and sleep problems.. Thanks for any help.

_country_ replied to ptalbert's response:
ptalbert,
I sure hope you are still active on this site. As I read what you wrote I felt like you were talking about me. I signed up to this site hoping to talk to you.
My accident was 01-2013. The first doctor i saw was a joke. Every month he wrote me a script for pain meds and ordered more tests, all at his facility of course. Not 1 time did a certified radioligist look at the MRI's and every month I heard the same thing from the doctor, "well everything looks good so the injuries you've substained are all related to the concussion" then he bolts out of the room. 10 months i went through this. Hes just trying to get his "fair share" of the insurance money.
I found new doctors who are trying to find answers. In November I had a dizzy spell and fell down the stairs, broke my foot and ankel. After that My condition deterated quickly. I am now un able to return to work. Im a mechanical engineer.
If it helps you at all just know that I do know everything youre going through and i hope that one day soon you find relief.
That goes for everyone here suffering I wish everyone the best of luck.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center