Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Head Aches from a Deviated Septum?
ajkm234 posted:
I have a deviated septum and I was wondering whether or not that could be a possible cause for my headaches/migraines that I have been having since childhood? If so, is there anyway to alleviate or rid the migraines beside surgery?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ajkm234,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussion. I am sorry you have migraines and hope you can find relief. I think you have an interesting question and look forward to member replies.
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

ajkm234 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, I hope some one can help

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I looked it up and it can cause facial/nasal pain, but I'm not sure about regular headaches. Have you had any surgery to straighten it? Do you get sinus headaches or migraines?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ajkm234's response:
How are your migraines now, Ajkm234?
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Deviated septum causes (triggers) migraines very rarely. There was a "fad" about 15-20 years ago for doing surgery on the nose to "cure" migraines after an article about this was published.

Unfortunately, once they did a better study, it turned out that the surgery didn't work any better than not having surgery, and some patients ended up with more pain after surgery than before (always a risk when you do surgery).

If your deviated septum is causing any other problems (like breathing trouble or bleeding) it is probably worth doing.

pktlady13 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
also have a deviated septm and have also had headaches and migraines since i was a small child. i just now thought that maybe it is because of my nose. when i was a child my parents did everything they could to try to figure out why i had such bad headaches. they took me for CT scans, MRis, every test you could imagine. i also get frequent sinus headaches and infections. could this be the cause??

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center