Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Heat related migraines
cmccage posted:
I have been having heat related migraines for years. I have to be careful when I go out in the heat and most of the time I stay indoors, I have to be careful when I exercise and do housework. I have been on different preventatives and nothing is working. My physician just told me the other day that I may just be one of those people that has to stay away from my triggers. What the heck??? I am a total prisoner to my migraines. Any help?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Cmccage,

Welcome to the community. I am sorry you are suffering from migraines. Heat can be a trigger for migraines. What kind of medication have you tried so far?
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

allie_bf responded:
What migraineur doesn't have to stay away from his/her triggers? Not too helpful, was that? Aside from making sure that you stay well-hydrated in hot weather, I'd say try magnesium supplements (if you haven't already.) I've found that they work well, and they seem to be especially helpful for my friends with heat-sensitive headaches.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to allie_bf's response:
Hi allie_bf,

What a great suggestion! I found an article to share with everyone that discusses magnesium rich foods and headaches.
Check it out: Headaches & The Food Connection

I am going to try this because I sometimes have issues with heat and headaches.

Thanks for sharing!

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Has your doctor tried all the prevention medications in the list I put under "tips"? sometimes it takes trying them all to find the one that works.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Before going outside, put ice around your head. Get techni-ice, cut it into strips, soak it in water, then wrap them in bandanas and freeze them. Then take them out and wrap them around your head and neck. I usually avoid going outside when it's hot, (although I love gardening) but if I have to, I wrap the ice around my head first.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center