Skip to content
Waking nearly daily with Migraines
PurpleMuse61 posted:
I have suffered from migraines since I was 14 years old. When Imitrex came along it was a miracle medicine for me and could abort just about any migraine I had. My normal migraine is slow in coming on and starts as a increasingly pressured feeling where my spine enters my head and slowly migrates from the back of my head up. Long before the migraine becomes full-blown I become very sensitive to smells, then sounds, and finally sensitivity to sunlight. At that point if I do not have an injection I am bound for a dark room and misery.

For the past month I have been waking with migraines in my face and forehead. The pain wakes me most of the time, though there are mornings when the headache is mild and progresses. Some mornings the pain is like being poked in the eyes with toothpicks and I have to reach for an injection before I can even get out of bed. Other mornings I feel like I have a mild hangover headache and either the headache simply goes away within a few hours or it simmers and brews and by late afternoon is a full-blown migraine.

My doctor was concerned that these were reboung headaches and limited my use of imitrex to 6 shots per 14 days or NSAID pain relievers at all as treatments. Since these are daily many of them hav eto go untreated. We tried to propananol but I have always had a low blood pressure and the propananol pushed it to the point that I couldn't stand up and walk across the room without my vision blacking out for a few seconds.

I have suffered cluster migraines once or twice about 10 years ago, but never have I been awakened with headaches.

Is there a specific kind of headache that comes on in the night? Does anyone else suffer from these types of migraines?

Could this be migraines as a result of chronic sinusitis? I wonder because my sinuses feel stuffy with these migraines. I don't have runny noses or heavy phlegm, just the feeling of swollen stuffy nasal and sinus.

I am worried about these headaches. Mostly because in my 30 years of being a migraine sufferer these are unlike any other.

I've been on the wait list to for the neurology headache clinic.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi PurpleMuse61,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join discussions or search our topics using the "Search This Community" tool. While you wait for replies here is some information that might help.

Here is some information about Migraines: Headaches & Migraine Health Center

and

Slideshow: Surprising Migraine Triggers

I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if you need more information.

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

carpetcrawler5 responded:
OK, you said you have had Clusters or cluster migraines, meaning were the Cluster Migraines behind your eye, and either eye? People who get clusters say they have slightly stuffy noses. Have you ever tried oxygen before? Could help, but only for the clusters, not the migs.

You may need to use a pillow that supports your neck at night. Also discuss with your dentist whether you might be grinding your teeth at night while you're asleep. You can get a special mouth guard to wear for this. Also you could get a steroid nerve block if your neck stiffness is causing your headaches. I don't know much about the forehead pain type headaches, but I hear that a lot by people with other types of headaches. For those, I wouldn't drink the caffeine, that only works for migraines. I'm not sure about the clusters, either as far as that goes. Maybe clusters can cuase forehead pain? I've only heard the pain being behind one eye. Does the Imitrex stop that type of headache?

At night our blood vessels open up more to get more oxygen. Try waking up every few hours at night and drink some coffee if you're ok. Also put ice around your head as soon as you wake up in the morning. Get some techni-ice, cut it into strips, put it in water and let it puff up. Then wrap them in bandanas and freeze them. The next morning, pull one out and wrap it around your head. It brings down inflammation.

What type of NSAIDs do you take? OTCs aren't a good choice there, but some prescription NSAIDs such as Indomethicin may help an acute headache, don't take them long-term tho because they will cause stomach pain.

Tried anything else besides Propanolol? There are many more preventative meds out there. or you could try calcium channel blockers.

Call the neuro and ask to be put on the list for when someone cancels an appointment. Too bad those neuro appointments are so hard getting into.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Hi Carpetcrawler,

I love your reply to this member. It is amazing all the triggers we need to look over. I am glad that you posted some here. I think we should get a migraine trigger discussion going.

What do you think?
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

carpetcrawler5 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
good idea

PurpleMuse61 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I wanted to stop in and update. I finally got in to see the neurologist and was encouraged to give Botox treatment a try. I had to wait a month to get in, as there is only one Doc that is trained in the procedure, but it was worth being patient for.

My "recalcitrant" migraines lasted for 2 1/2 months. The Botox injections were given above both eyebrows (not between, even though it is a migraine trigger point because the insurance companies won't pay if "there may be cosmetic benefit'), along the hairline in the temple area, as well as the neck in the C1 - C3 areas and along the tops of my shoulders.

I had my normal migraine the day after the treatment, the second day after the migraine was less severe and then the third day I was migraine free! I have remained free of migraines since then (about 3 months now). My insurance agreed to 3 treatments, 3 months apart. However, I have opted not to have further treatments since I remain well, even though the paralytic effect of the treatments is gone (meaning I can move my eyebrows again).

The only drawback of the treatment is that I lost most of my ability to lift things, or to take my shirt off over my head in the usual way due to the shoulder injections. I tore my rotator cuff (in the shoulder) trying to get one of those camisoles that have a built in bra (they are tight) that was wet with sweat. I couldn't even lift my little 12 lb dog up on the couch... I had some minor weakness in my thigh muscles about a week after treatment, but it went away soon enough. The dead eyebrows caused sagging and droop of my eyelids (I'm 50) to the point that in one eye it obscured my vision a little. This went away as the Botox wore off.

All these complaints were NOTHING compared to the debilitating daily and nightly migraines and a life completely interrupted.

I would strongly encourage anyone who isn't responding to traditional treatments to talk to their Family Doc for a referral to a Neurologist, or to your Neurologist about Botox treatments.

My medicare and medicaid paid for it, so your insurance company certainly should... it is much cheaper for them in the long run considering constant ER and Office visits and uber expensive triptan injections...

Good luck, and thank you for being here.

So, there are drawbacks... well worth it though...

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center