Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
recurrence
An_205246 posted:
I had a hemiplegic migraine yesterday. I am still suffering from numbness in my right hand and wrist. I have had ocular migraines for about 10 years. What are the chances of recurrence of the hemiplegic migraine? Is this something I should prepare for? Will I be have this kind of migraine again?

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_169150,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions. I am sorry that you are in pain and hope you find relief soon.

While you wait for replies, here is some information about Hemiplegic Migraines that you might be interested in.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

carpetcrawler5 responded:
yes, you will, and it's important to see your dr with that type of migraine. The article Lainey linked us to is pretty informative, and tells you a lot of what you need to know. Hope you feel better.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_169150,

I was just wondering how you were feeling?

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

bluekitty1076 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am feeling better now. I still have numbness in my thumb, pointer and ring finger on my right hand. My doctor is doing a lot of testing (MRI, ECG, etc) to rule out any other problems. I will be consulting with a neurologist soon.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to bluekitty1076's response:
I am glad you are feeling better and getting the testing done!

Did your doctor give you more information about hemiplegic migraines?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
I'm glad your doctor is doing some tests and setting up a neurology consult. Hemiplegic migraine is pretty rare, and most people start having them as children or teenagers.

Other causes of weakness or numbness on one side of the body (the hemiplegic part) like stroke and multiple sclerosis need to be check for after the first episode like this.

If it is really hemiplegic migraine, you may have another spell.

bluekitty1076 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:

The results of my MRI showed scarring on my brain indicating stroke. I am still having symptoms so I am being monitored until I am stable and a treatment plan can be put in place. Guess I'll have to move over to the stroke community boards.
thank you.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center