Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Please Help Me With Compassion
MikelWilesUsa posted:
Hi i'm new and i hope this is the right area. I'm also haveing a bad panic attack due to the fowllowing fear so i am shakeing and may make alot of typos.. In advance i am sorry!

I need advice on Migraine headachs i will discribe mine and i need someone to tell me if it truely is a migrain or something i need to goto a doctor for.

Symptoms.

Around 9pm lastnight i started haveing minor to moderate pain in the back of my neck left sided only. In a few hours it moved up my head and i woke at 5am with sever pain located upper left side of my head very sever pain stayed in one general area. I used a handheld battery operated massager to massage my forehead and sinus area of my face.I was pusing hard and it caused a swelling on my forehead and cheek area. Well those went away but im wondering why a massager would cause a swelling it was like i got hit. I slept till 2pm today and the pain is slowly subsideing and now the right side of my neck is hurting i took an excederin a while ago. I have noticed a knot in the back side left of my neck appears to be a mucle knot but not sure it stays sore and sometimes mild pain. but i do put alot of strain on that side of my neck cause i always hold myself up when i write or type in bed witch is hours a day. So i think that has caused a problem in my neck. I have had episodes like this that dates back to about 3 years ago. Mine always starts in the back bottom part of my neck works it's way up to my head top of head, sides and finily to forehead. sometimes it may be the entire head and forehead area sometimes one sideded right or left. I had it happen often back then almost weekly and lasted two days or longer. I was rushed to the ER one night about two years ago i had minigitis well after i was treated for minigitis the migrains and headaches stopped for a very long time a year or better. It scared me last night because it did not move to the forehead as normal and all past episodes did instead it stayed on the direct left upper side of my head and i started worrying about a brain tumor. Now in respect to the brain tumor fear so far i have no other headache symptoms no sickness, no weightloss, no nurological problems, No vomiting, Nothing no other symptoms. Although lately i have had some kinda cold sinus relayted type cold and i am on antibiotics. The one thing so far that has not changed is my headaches always i mean always starts in the back of my neck and moves to my head. To date none have ever started in my head it self. My neck is tense i carry all my stress there and i wonder how to relax it and keep it from being tense and how to keep the stress from going to it? Does what i discribe sound like a brain tumor? I just dont think a brain tumor would start in my left neck goto my head then today move to the right side of my neck. I do have very bad panic disorder panic attacks and i always have a worry of haveing cancer so i worry 24/7 none stop. I always think something is wrong with me and that i am dying soon. Why did it go away for a year then come back now"? How do i know it's not a brain tumor? I mean 3 years now and in the er back then i had a brain scan before they knew what was wrong with me so it was not a tumor causeing the pain headaches then! I dont know how to relax my neck and keep stress out of that area i use icy hot it provides some releaf not much. And would a brain tumor not always have some kinda pain all the time? Or is this because i worry so much and i just cant handle stress? I guess the only real stress i have is being alone, And all the worry that i am dying.. I goto the doctor alot over my fears and worry and i dont want to put myself through another brain scan being scared over a headache last night. Now yes true if it keeps happening and gets more often or i get more symptoms or if the pain dont fully go away in another day or so i will go be seen. Im 33yo white male. Just worried thanks in advance. Mike

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions or post more questions. We are here to offer support.

I am sorry that you are in pain and panic attacks are no picnic either. If you have never experienced this type of headache before, please consider contacting your doctor or going to the nearest ER. It is better to have them check you out to be safe.

WebMD also has a wonderful community for people who suffer from panic attacks if you would like to share your experiences. Here is a link: Anxiety & Panic Disorders

Please update us with what you decide and feel free to come share with us anytime.

Take care,

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

allie_bf responded:
No, I don't think that your headaches are migraines, but that's not to say that they aren't severe, or don't deserve followup treatment so that you feel better. Regardless of the severity, migraines typically involve light/sound sensitivity, and are "throbbing" in nature, neither of which are focal points in your description of your headaches. You also either don't list or specifically refute common problems associated with brain tumor headaches (e.g. vomiting, balance problems, etc.)

In fact, it sems that you have already identified the neck tension (and probably muscle spasms) that are triggering your headaches. Have you seen either a physical therapist or a chiropracter? Either one could help with exercises, ultrasound therapy, and use of heat/cold to relieve some of your neck pain. If you are spending long hours at a computer, or in another fairly static position, (especially at work where you are probably already feeling stressed) it may be worth checking out whether there is an ergonomic issue involved. Do talk to your doctor as well since you may benefit from muscle relaxants, and you may need referrals to the other providers, and possibly a MRI of your neck if the conservative measures don't work after a few weeks.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mike,

I was just wondering if you feel any better?

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Your headaches are not a brain tumor because they went away and came back (just like you thought). Your neck pain is probably causing what we call a "cervicogenic headache".

The headache itself can be treated separately from the neck pain, but treating the neck pain is more likely to help both problems.

I don't think you need another brain scan, but a good neurologic or pain doctor should be able to help the headache and neck pain.

A biofeedback clinic could also help decrease the stress/strain on your neck with out medications, and would be able to give you more control over your panic/stress symptoms too.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Also if you went to a pain clinic, they may give you a steroid injection in your neck.

Check all of the side effects of any meds you're taking. They could have headaches as a trigger, especially SSRIs such as Prozac or Paxil.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center