Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Monday's Migraine Journal 05/09 Help The Community By Sharing Your Pain!
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello community!

Keeping a weekly migraine journal can help us built a history of when migraines occur and also may pinpoint triggers. As a community, our journal may also help a member find similarities and encourage them to do further research of their own.

? Did you have a migraine this week? How Many? What were you doing? What did it feel like?

? How long did it last? Is this time amount normal for your pain?

? When? Day, Evening? Is this normal for your pain?

? Trigger? Example: Food, Allergies, Menstrual, and Stress?

? Did you have a migraine this week? Yes How Many? 6 What were you doing? Normal activities. What did it feel like? I was in so much pain that I called my doctor.

? How long did it last? All day! Is this time amount normal for your pain? No

? When? Day, Evening? Is this normal for your pain? All day pain in my eyes and all over my head.

? Trigger? Example: Food, Allergies, Menstrual, and Stress? Allergies, it has been very wet here.
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
Lance Armstrong

mymygraine responded:
Pain is different for everyone. I don't know whether Mr Armstrong suffers from migraines but after 41 years of these debilitating "headaches" that have not gone away at age 50 as I was told by a well known neurologist specializing in migraine headaches. Instead they increased in frequency, I began having auras which plague me still. One does keep going as best as one can, adjusts, and deals through it all, even as this constant pain takes its toll.

No one, no one, who does not deal with ongoing chronic pain - not brought on by activities they choose to participate in - knows what migraineurs suffer through sometimes 4-5 times a week. It is statements like Mr Armstrong's that gives the public the idea that people with migraines have pain that will just go away if they keep going and doing what they do, participating in everyday activities, and pay no attention to the blinding pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound they are feeling. This is a quote taken out of context, and is comparing apples and oranges. Mr Armstrong chose to train to be a world class bicyclist and worked through the pain of his body as he drove it to extremes to keep it in that condition, and mentally keep his mind fit.

Migraines are neither a mind game or a matter of training in the gym to push thru the pain to reach a goal. They come back over and over, without control by the person having them. There is much more information about the causes and triggers for them than there was when I first started having them. As a staff member, I would suggest you be more sensitive to the real pain migrainerus suffer with and live with, and leave this kind of comment aside.

vlmitch replied to mymygraine's response:
First I want to say that since you posted, lance Armstrong has been found guilty for enhancement drugs. And with that said he obviously couldn't endure even his "cycling" pain. Yes you are right, no one understands this pain unless they've literally walked in our shoes, or better said laid on our couch.

I've had chronic migraines for 30 years and like most on this site, I've ended up at last house on the block - Botox. I documented for 3 mos. 1-10 on severity and how long they lasted. All the while taking imetrix injection, way more than recommended but to function.

I presented this diary to Neuro, (31 free days in 3 mo) was approved by Medicare and 2 weeks later I had my first round of Botox. This 1st round they seem to be better, less intense and less frequent even tho I still had only 37 free of migraines in 3 months, but I was willing to do it again. That was 8/13/12

My forehead was in a permanent frown position for the 3 months and now have deep frown marks as the result of round if Botox. However I felt they helped enough to do it again. So 3 mo later in 11/13I had another set of Injections. This time he injected my forehead higher in hopes to reduce the frown expression. And it did but the headaches effect was poor.

I am to go back 2/14 but can't decide to go through this again. I not only have headaches pretty much everyday again the Neuro won't allow me the amount of Imetrix that my insurance allows. His nurse said they'd not be able to show they are improving if I'm taking the same amount of medicine. That's when I told her "the Botox was not helping this time!! ".

Today 1/26/14, my temples are tender and tingle. This is where 2 1/2 mo ago had injections, also pain in my neck on right side is tight. I am almost afraid to keep getting them, if the Dr won't give me the emergency injections and/or pills in the Interim. I'm willing to talk to the Neuro and see what he says but this gets very depressing and very old.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center