Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Headache at the point of sexual climax (coital cephalalgia?)
An_205247 posted:
I understand that coital cephalalgia is a headache condition which occurs during sexual intercourse. In my case the incredible SHARP headache pain which shoots to the top of my head begins at the onset of a climax (which prevents me from continuing and having one) and continues sometimes for hours.................is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? The article mentioned treatment but does not say what that might be. I believe mine is caused by the increased adrenaline rush ... so any suggestions you can give me I would appreciate.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_170032,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions. I am sorry you are having migraines and hope you find relief soon.

Dr. Collins answered a similar discussion here . It was very interesting that quiet a few members have asked this question.

I wonder if any current members suffer from this type of migraine?
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
We (neurologists) don't really know why some people have coital headache (also called orgasmic headache). I've talked with both men and women with this type of headache.

I've used the same type of medications normally used for migraine to treat coital headaches. Some of the prevention medications (like topiramate or nortriptyline) can work, but have to be taken every day.

Sometimes taking naproxen (Aleve, 500 mg) 1-2 hours before engaging in sexual activity can prevent a coital headache (but I also understand that this may not work for many patients).

One of the headache medications (Frova, generic is frovatriptan) has a very long duration of action, and can prevent coital headaches. (it sticks around for 25 hours, so could be taken several hours in advance).

Most patients I've talked with don't have a coital headache every time, and haven't tried medications. I almost always check a MRI scan if the problem just started, but if it has been occurring on and off for more than a year, I don't always get an MRI scan.

glittergirl49 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thank you for the advice. Taking the Aleve seems to help a little....but the pain still stops me at the point of orgasm. There are several medications listed above.....are there any that are over the counter that could be used with these ingredients?

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 109 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center