Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bad Headache
An_205248 posted:
Let me be up front here: I dont know if it's allergies, a migraine, or something else. I thought that maybe I would get some sort of help here as I haven't been able to get any help or relief. I had a sinus issue (I'm pretty sure) on sunday where I woke up and it felt like someone had punched me in the nose. It hurt all day and didn't feel much better when I went to bed, but was better when I woke up. I did have a headache though that was in the front of my head, (like a sinus headache), but didn't get too much better and it's slowly gotten worse since then. Today, when I woke up, I could barely move without getting dizzy and my head throbbing. I did my best at work, but dreaded anytime I had to move, even the slightest. This is day three and I would like some ideas on how to control these headaches. I've had them many times already recently. I dont have money to go to a doctor, although I do have an appt next week for something else though. I just need to get this under control. Someone help me please.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_155925,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions. I am sorry that you are in pain and hope you find relief soon.

Do you use any type of allergy medications? Allergies can cause headaches/migraines.

Talking with your local pharmacist to help you select an allergy medication. Using hot washcloths on your face, hot showers, and steam therapy can help relieve symptoms. WebMD has an Allergy Health Center , and Allergy Community to help you with more suggestions.

Let me know if you need anything and please keep us updated.

Lainey
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute or an hour or a day or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

An_205249 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Lainey! I switch between loratadine and another generic, depending on what I can afford at the time. Other than that, nothing. prescriptions are too expensive sometimes. I will definitely try those and see if they help. And I'm going to see if they have something better at the pharmacy. I will let you know what works. Thanks again!

An_205250 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well, when I got home, I was given two excederin and one mucus relief pill. (She thinks it's still allergies.) But now I think I'm having a freaking anxiety attack. Do you know if those can do that? Can they give someone an anxiety attack? I dont like taking pills because I've always had a fear of them, but I had to this time.

carpetcrawler5 replied to An_205250's response:
If you can't afford your meds, go on the company's website and you may be able to get them for free or at a reduced price. Its possibly yoru fear of taking meds that cuased your panic attack. Neither one of those meds could probably give you a panic attack.

Has anyone given you a sinus scan? There's surgery you can get that might help. But the inflammation may take awhile to go away.

mymygraine replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Based on all the discussions, I think you still need to find out what kind of headache you have, whether it is a sinus headache or a migraine, or something else. A migraine is very easy to diagnose, and some of your medications may have interactions that are causing a panic response, everyone is different in how they respond to various meds, so what is printed on the box is not always valid. Carptecrawler5 is right about going to the mfr. website. Free samples are usually available through them, and most states have plans for those with very low incomes to help with medical costs. That said, a migraine can be identified easily if it is, on one side of the head, is a throbbing or stabbing kind of pain making it hard to stand up, causes tearing on the side that is effected, and produces sensitivity to light and sound. On this website there is a definition for the various kinds of headaches - migraine, sinus, tension, cluster, etc. so you can get an idea of what kind of doc to consult. I would ask what doc gave you the Maxalt and the loratadine in the first place, and what their diagnosis of your headache is? I think you need a referral to the best headache neuro you can find, and work out a payment plan, or go to a headache clinic where the fees are lower but the wait is longer and also put yourself on the cancellation list. Keep a good record of your headaches, the meds you take, the food you eat, and the weather or anything else that might be triggering the headache - like chocolate, lack of sleep, change in routine, cold fronts (rain) coming in, etc. There is a lot of help for every kind of headache these days, but a correct diagnosis is key and often that is the most difficult piece of the puzzle. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center