Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Opinions on Petadolex
farinagirl posted:
Hello,

Both my son and I suffer from migraines. He has tried Maxalt, Zomig and Migrainal to treat his migraines, which are becoming more frequent, and they have not worked. The next step is to get back on a prevention med. He used Propranolol in the past and now the doctor is recommending Topimirate or Petadolex. I am considering Petadolex, because I took Topimirate for 3 years and did not see tremendous improvement.

Can anyone share his/her experience with this herb?

What are your thoughts on giving this herb to a 9-year-old child?

Thank you!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya and welcome!

Please talk to your sons doctor before giving him any herb for this. The doc knows his health history and would be best to talk to.

Chrissy

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Have you tried any other preventatives besides the Propanolol or Topamax? There are many more out there. If he's on a good preventative, the Maxalt or Zomig would possibly help, as they're an abortive. You can also try prescription NSAIDs such as Indomethicin (as an infrequent abortive)

I personally tried Petadolox, and it caused stomach issues for me so I had to stop taking it. It's a strong anti-inflammatory, which is probably why it causes stomach pain. Not saying this will happen to everyone but something to consider.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Petadolex is also called butter bur root extract. It is from a plant named Petasitis hybridus. A placebo controlled trial using this was published in the journal NEUROLOGY in 2004.

The study found that Petasitis Hydridus was better than placebo at migraine prevention ( in adults) and appeared to have minimal side effects.

I've used it in adults, but haven't tried it in children. I have a few patients who complain of upset stomach with this supplement.

What dose of propranolol did your doctor try? Topamax has the chance of more side effects than Petadolex--Topamax can cause memory problems that interfere with school work.

Riboflavin (B2) 200 mg twice a day also works for headache prevention, and is safe for children.

farinagirl replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
HI Chrissy,

My doctor gave me the options of Topamax or Petadolex. Since I have been on Topamax and experienced various side effects, I was thinking that an herb might be a better option for him. Thanks to the responders below, I will watch out for the upset stomach.

Thanks!
Anissa

MigraineMonica replied to farinagirl's response:
Hi Anissa!

I've been on the Topamax (never had the option of the other, so not sure about it), as well for Complex Migraines...and I had horrible side effects which led me to being taken off that one & put on Depakote, but has serious side effects, as well. I've been taking a combination of Rxs (that are for prevention of seizures and anxiety...and to quit smoking...so the difference of meds are going to vary from person-to-person) AND he also decided to try me on high-potency multi-vitamins & minerals...I think I take more supplements than RXs, but can tell ya this much...if you're taking on empty stomach...it will definitely cause upset stomachs...I've gone through certain trials to prevent the upset stomachs like taking w/food (before, during or after), which doesn't really work (better than on an empty stomach though) or splitting them up through the day (which has been by far the most successful way to prevent the nausea! BUT...I will say this much...since RXs and multi-vitamins,etc. are so expensive...I stopped taking as prescribed, not to mention to the nausea it caused and I noticed my migraines coming back more intense than usual, so I brought it up to my doc & he asked if I had been taking my vitamins prescribed & I told him no & why. His response was, he understood, he knows I'm having to pay for my visits & all meds outta pocket, but if there's ONE supplement to NOT lay off on...it's Fish Oil. I immediately started my regiment again & I still don't take as originally prescribed, but have found that I can't go w/out taking the fish oil...otherwise within a week the migraines are back full force! Not sure what it is about the fish oil, but once I started taking again & at least keeping it in my system...it somewhat makes a difference...the "bad" migraines are fewer. BUT when it comes to a child AND yourself...never do anything without talking to your doctor first. Just because something is considered an herb, doesn't mean it can't be harmful. Good luck to you & your son! I hope you both find some relief!

I am curious about the Petadolex, though! If you decide to take...let us know how it works for you and/or your son. I'm constantly looking for new ways to prevent the migraines in a simpler, as least harmful, way as possible!

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center