Skip to content
I get headaches when I lay Down
AliciaMarieMonj posted:
I am a smoker. I drink way too much coffee. I have hormonal imbalances (that are balanced now through yaz) I am 20, and I am a woman.

It seems that whenever I lay in bed too long, I get a headache on the one side of my head I was laying on. Throughout the day the headache worsens, I have sensitivity to light and sound, sometimes nausea but thats rare. I also tend to clench my jaw. It usually takes between an hour to an hour and a half to get these headaches.

I quit smoking two years ago for 8 months or so. When I quit, I also significantly decreased the amount of coffee I drank seeing as they go hand in hand and it's well, amazing together. I only had it twice a week give or take. My headaches got fewer and further between, but they still happened on a regular basis. What was a weekly endeavor turned into an every other week endeavor. I quit smoking from March until October or so. That year we got a hard frost early, so I know it's not allergy induced. Not to rub it in, but the worst allergies I have are a drippy nose. The opposite of sinus headaches.

I don't even bother with bringing it up to doctors, every time I have I get patronized with "You smoke and drink coffee. Those two things are sure to cause headaches"...(WOW! I had no idea! Like I hadn't already considered the controlled variables!)..."Not to mention, you don't seem to drink enough water"...(I didn't know you were with me all day every day. It's to my understanding that my Professors at school want to back hand me most of the time because I'm always running to the bathroom.)..."it also says on your chart that you have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and hormonal imbalances cause headaches as well. (So why did you put me on Yaz? Trust me, it's not like its been used as a contraceptive lately, and I'm NOT happy about it.)

So, as you can see my predicament, I am never going to be taken seriously as a smoker. Please please please give me some feedback. I'm getting really irritated with this.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Well, actually just for the principal of it, I would try to quit smoking. I know it's hard, but I did it myself and also my older sister did recently with the patch. It certainly doesn't help headaches, but just as a health risk and you may feel better after doing this. There are also meds I've heard can help.

The only thing I can think of about the laying down headaches is are you supporting your neck while you sleep?

Although Yaz and other BCPs can help level out your hormones, for some women Estrogen can be a trigger for migraines. Have you ever tried Progesterone? Might help, might not.

TiaJones6 responded:
Well, I have the same problem! I'm NOT a smoker, don't drink too much coffee, and have the same symptoms??? Did you ever search further into this? It happens to me on which ever side I sleep on;( if I flip over the headache will go to the other side?? Anyone??

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center