Skip to content
headaches
toxxichunny posted:
have been having really bad migraines for the past couple of months now. i have been taking every pain reliever out there and nothing is working i have also been taking maxalt too and that sometimes work i cant take the pain no more i dont know what to do anymore i have an appt with the neurologist on the 26 of june and i cant wait that long what can i do to stop this migraines plz help me

mymygraine responded:
Is your appointment with a neuro who specializes in headaches or just as general neurologist. If it is not a headache neuoro I would cancel the appointment, go to your internist and push for an emergency referral to a headache clinic or a headache neurologist in your area, or a pain clinic in your area. Start keeping track of what you are eating and what is triggering your headaches. Also note what time of day the migraines start, how long they last and on a scale of one to 10 how you would rate them - even during the time you have the migraine, when they are a 10 and when they fall back to and 8 or a 5, and how often you are taking the medication you have, and whether you are drinking coffee, or taking other over the counter meds, such as excedrin migraine. Note down what the weather is like, if a cold front has just come through, if you have had a change in your sleep schedule that was not planned, anything that is out of your normal routine. Keep a daily diary of everything you eat at each meal. This sounds tedious, I know but it is vital information for your doctor. The 26th is only 4 weeks away, and you need at least 4 weeks of information for your doctor, so hold on, and if your doc is not a headache doc, you are going to have to get another app't anyway, hopefully your internist or another doctor will get you an appointment more quickly. Also make a list of all the medications you have taken, both for your headaches, and any other meds you have take for other issues, dosages, and for how long, so the headache neuro can have as complete a picture of your situation as possible.

To help with the pain, have an ice bag handy at all times - the brain recognizes cold before pain, and it will dull the pain quite well. Wrap a towel around the bag if it is too cold, and never put it directly on your eye, just around it. Also you can put your feet in a tub of hot water and that will draw the blood away from your head and give you some relief as long as your feet are in the water. These are just interim solutions and will not take care of your pain for any length of time. Whatever doctor you are scheduled for, call the scheduling person, tell them your situation, and asked to be put on the cancellation list, because people do cancel, and be prepared to go, if they call you the night before and as you if you can come in at 8:30 the next morning.

Good luck!

Helpful Tips

There are many causes of daily headaches and many treatments
Your husband needs to see a doctor to at least have a battery of blood tests, including tests for thyroid, RBC magnesium, vitamin B12, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center