Skip to content
Ongoing Headache
FoamTrees posted:
Starting Friday (5/20/2011) I've been having these awful headaches (top, back of my head. sometimes just on one side). Friday and Saturday were the worst, so far. On Saturday, while working out, I started feeling nauseous and my throat and neck started to tighten slightly. After that, it turned into more of a nagging headache and since then (now four days later, so far) I've been waking up with it and it'll go away within a few hours.

I considered a couple of things: Migraines - which I've never had before. But now after reading up on it, the headaches aren't debilitating and I function just fine... no sensitivity to sound or bright lights. Tension headaches - which I used to get, although not at this level (of pain), and at most they would last two days. My WORST thought/fear is that it could be an aneurysm. I don't know enough about aneurysms to dismiss it, but I think I'm just freaking out at this point.

Nothing about my diet or routine have changed in the last 3 months. I'm not taking any medication, except for allergies (Dimetapp) on an as needed basis. To treat the headaches, I've taken aspirin but it only relieves the pain for 1 to 2 hours. I'm also wondering if I should go to Urgent Care or something, but I feel a little silly going there for a headache.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

NeNe_11 responded:
I think if you were having an aneuysm I dont think the pain would come & go. Ive heard it described as being the worst possible pain. Make an appointment with your doctor who can determine the type of headache you have been having & can prescribe something for you to take when you feel them coming on. Ask that doc for a referral to a neurologist who can better treat your headaches longterm.
Take Care,
Denise

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Also some of your headaches could be from neck or spine issues.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center