Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Migraine that wont go away
Thumper7795 posted:
Hi folks, I am having an issue breaking a migraine and am going out of my mind. I have had this same migraine for the last few days, since sunday morning. I didnt get an aura or anything like that. What makes this so bad, is that i have not had one since December. I changed my diet, started working out, cut back on smoking, and lost so far 47 lbs. Then Sunday gets here, and out of left field bang. I went to the doctors office tuesday night after work and told them about it, and the NP yelled at me about blood pressure and smoking, then sent me on my way. I am going back today, but seeing a different person, and Need to get this thing broke. I dont know how much more i can take of this thing. I have tried everything i know of to do, short of going to the ER. Anyone have any suggestions? I am taking 2 excedrine migraines every 6 hours, and 800 mgs of advil every 8. I am not eating like i am supposed to cause it feels like everything is going to come up. I have been trying to meditate but my head hurts bad enough to disrupt me everytime i try. The light and any kind of loud sound makes it 10 times worse. PLEASE HELP.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
If your blood pressure is under control your doctor could give you one of the migraine medications like Imitrex or Maxalt. There could also think about giving you an injection of a nausea medication and ketorelac.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Are you on any preventatives? Best to see a nuerologist and get some.

Thumper7795 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I was on propanalol or i guess thats the spelling. Like i said before i was without one for 5 months. I finally got it broke, and they changed the BP meds to an alpha blocker i think is what they said it is. I have not had a problem with it since about last friday.

Thumper7795 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
I was on imitrex and the side effects of it drove me out of my mind. It made my jaws hurt like i had went 12 rounds with George Foreman. He took me off of that and presribed migranol, but that is so expensive. Thanks for the advice Doc.

mymygraine responded:
If you are taking a lot of excedrin migraine and advil, these both will cause rebound headaches which will keep the cycle of the migraines going from the caffeine content. The ER will most likely will give you a shot of Demerol to stop the headache, or perhaps they will give you imitrex or Toradol (ketorolac). Toradol has been great for me, but one has to catch the headache at the beginning when it starts, not at the rebound stage or it will do nothing. Demerol also has a nasty rebound as do all the opiates, so that won't help long tern. Find a pain clinic or pain doc to help you with this situation. You are going to have a few rough days which is why you need to have a a doctor supervising all this to ease the pain somewhat. The brain recognizes cold before pain, so if you are not already using ice on your head, start now.and it will work in bits, and they you have to give it a break. That should do it, and try not to drink any coffee either. Right now I am in the middle of a nasty rebound headache from a very bad migraine and it has been going on for 4 days, I will be into my 5th day shortly. Your neuro does not sound very helpful, so try to find a pain doc, or pain clinic that can help you through this. If you cannot find a pain doc, find any doc that will help you, even at the ER which should have a pain doc on staff. It is very hard to do alone, so get help before trying it. I have done it many many times and know all the signs, but I still check in with my pain doc just in case I should be doing something else. I know how debilitating this can be, but I think your medications are making the cycle worse, so you need to find someone to help you get off them. For the nausea try eating a white baked or boiled potato or a piece of white toast with jelly - nothing whole grain. If you don't have any in house, have a fried get it for you. Also ginger ale. You would be surprised how well they work. Good luck and hang in there. It will get better.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center