Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Head Pressure, Dizziness, Blurred Vision, Confusion
An_205260 posted:
Hello, I am at my wits end. I am a 55 year old male. I am feeling very scared. I have what I call pressure on the inside of my head on the left side. Seems to originate from the left ear area most of the time but also from left jaw and alittle from the base of the back neck. I feel disoriented, confused, have blurred vision and dizzy spells when active. I have allot of snap crackle pop when turning my head and also a tingle in my left ear (dropping my jaw gets rid of that). Sometimes also I get a slight pain across my chest and numbness down my left arm all the way down to my left 2 fingers.

I've had this for about a month now.

I had something similar to this about 2 years ago that lasted about 3 months and then it just seemed to go away but has left me paranoid that it would happen again. I was under an MDs care at that time and did have an MRI that showed disks in the back of my neck were messed up but I never followed threw with it because the problems seemed to subside.

I have had vertigo with heights ever since I was 18. I had an untreated neck injury when I was 18 which has caused a phobia. I don't know if this is all connected.

Hot pad, Motrin 500, zanax and not moving around helps, but I can't be living like this.

I am very afraid and have the fight or flight thing going on big time. I don't want to even leave the house. I don't want to go driving, I don't want to get another MRI and I don't want to get an operation.

I have read all over the web about my symptoms. I do have those bad disks in the back of my neck but could this be MS? An ear problem? A jaw problem?

This is very hard on my wife and daughters too.

Any ideas?

I will post back.

Thank You for Any Help

An_205261 responded:
Have you tried a chiropractor?? i have the same problems. but when i go to my chiro regularly i feel wonderful!! by problem is always on my right side!

carpetcrawler5 responded:
It sounds to me like it's your neck. You can go to a pain spec and get a steroid shot in the back of your neck that lasts about a year. Taking over the counter pain meds will just make it worse. I would also see a nuerologist if you can.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
MS is pretty much a painless condition. Your symptoms are not particularly suggestive for MS (and you are getting on the "too old" side for new onset MS).

The pressure sensation and increased dizziness is suggestive for an inner ear problem, and this is usually pretty easy for an ENT doctor to sort out.

THe "snap crackle pop" from your neck is the joints in your neck. It is just like someone "popping" their finger joints. It can start up because of arthritis changes in your neck, but the sound is not a symptom of any serious problem.

The "fight or flight" symptoms can actually be treated seperately from the other symptoms, which may help as much as seeing a doctor for the other symptoms.

hardworkinpd replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Hi & Thanks Doctor Tim,

I think your pretty much on target with what's going on with me, yeah a couple of things. But the dizziness and side of my face pressure seems to be caused by my ear. I am taking antibiotic and drops right now and I seem to be getting better in that area.

The dizziness seemed to have triggered this panic fight or flight and my family MD gave me zanax it kind of works but It makes me feel tired and lazy. He has tried other drugs on me but most of them make me feel weird.

And yeah I need to go get an MRI and something done with my disks in my neck, but I want to get a little bit of control of my nerves first.

Thanks To Everybody that replied!

hbk24 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
I have had this certain issue for about a year on and off...I'm a male and im 28 years old. I have simliar issues.

Its so hard to explain, but I'll do my best. I have this issue where I constantly feel this visual disturbance, which in turn makes me feel light headed/disoriented It's really hard to do much of anything. I have a history of migraines. However, I only get full blown migraines ( starts with aura, with numbness in fingers and tongue, and then a debilitating headache). These however, go away after about a day. But what I have right now is this feeling of having the aura without having the headache. Its constant and really gets to me. I've gotten mri's ct scans and nothing. Doc's havent helped me much. Also, my right side of my face feels tingly from time to time.

Another thing i've noticed that these episodes start with me getting a flu of some sort.(sometimes a stomach flu). I feel really weak and very hot. I feel this way for a couple months and then it goes away. However, it comes right back.

To be honest I couldnt even tell you if it is migraine related, but its all I can come up with. Any suggestions?

hardworkinpd replied to hbk24's response:
Hi Tim, Sorry to hear about your episodes. The symptoms your explain aren't exactly like mine, no headaches, or numbness in tongue or flu problems.

Here are some things that I find some relief with until I find the true nature of my illness.

1.Ice pack or hot pad on the back of my neck, sometimes hot works sometimes cold works.

2.Sometimes a neck brace helps. One of those Velcro collar things.

3.A back brace, one of those that pulls your shoulders back.

4.Zanax .05MG, sometimes I take 2.

5.300MGs of Motrin.

I hate taking the drugs especially the Zanax because I don't want to get addicted to them. But they do help the best.

6.When my episodes are not real bad I do find walking or mild exercise does help too.

So far I have seen my family doctor and the Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor.

The ENT Doc gave me head exercises to do but I don't think they're helping.

1.My next steps are the Neurologist.

2.Another MRI, I Hate those especially with the way my nerves are right now, even the open ones . They're not That open.

If I don't get results there then it's off to the Orthopedic surgeon and either an injection into the spine back of neck or surgery on the disks in the back of my neck. And Damn I will Hate that if it doesn't take care of my problem.

Don't dwell on your symptoms and think the worst. Try and be proactive and find some answers for your relief. Easier said than done, I know believe me I Know.

Well anyway that's what I do and am going to do.

Oh and one more thing. I know just about everybody Worries about the cost. Well I do have insurance that's not very good but at least it gets me in the door. I will pay off all the co-pays, deductables and my parts some day, I hope.

I will post back.

hardworkinpd replied to hardworkinpd's response:
Oooops!

The above should of started Hi hbk24 , Not "Hi Tim", Tim's the Doc.

I need to see if there is a way to edit these posts.

An_205262 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Dear Doctor, I have had similar symptoms and have numerous MRIs. Eight bulging discs--four in neck with stenosis and four lumbar no stenosis, yet. Did facet steroid injections---helped some. Then I started with weakness, fatigue, cognitive changes, vision changes, etc. Noticed dilated pupil and pressure in right eye, so first went to my eye doctor. Did OCT that showed negative but didnt say anything about pupil. Saw my internist who ran brain MRI plus other tests. MRI came back with changes that could not exclude MS. Saw neurologist who said MS and just finished tests except lumbar. None showed MS. The problem now is that right eye pressure is now pain going on now for almost two months. Pupil still dilated/slow to respond. I suffer from migraines for years, but until this have kept them controlled. Saw my cardiologist--said not his area. Neurologist off-the-cuff is treating it as migraine and internist says could not be a cluster headache because I am female. Had asked my other neurologist I knew for 15 who said same. I am saying this is not "my" migraine. Migraine meds like Relpax and Imitrex do not work. Imitrex nasal does have effect. This headache comes and goes in intervals throughout day and WILL WAKE me at night- sometimes at approximately the same time. When it starts it is not so bad but kicks into high gear quickly. When I lie down, it comes on or gets worse. I do not have sinus problems. I have given up on all my doctors and do not know where to turn to get treatment. I truly believe this is cluster and have a family relative who was hospitalized for one. She told me after I started talking about how I couldn't get a diagnose other than migraine because I was a "female". I just stumbled upon an article showing more females are being diagnosed with clusters and migraine sufferers DO get cluster headaches. Please offer some advice, if any on where to turn. The intensity of the pain and frequency is lessening, but will resurface as I don't have any migraine meds. Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center