Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Confused
An_205265 posted:
For the last 3 years of my life every day from 3~5 ive been getting headachs but I just dont want to tell anyone anymore. Meaning my parents because I have already told you. The headachs start at the base of my neck and go up to my head. They almost feel like my brain is shoving on my skull begging it to just explode. Whenever I press on the base of my neck on the back, the bone that sticks out right under the collar of a tshirt it hurts so badly I feel like I am going to break my neck in two. The reason I keep to myself is that my parents think I am a stud muffin I know it sounds stupid but I've gone in for the headachs once already and they sent mr to PT and I just don't want to go anymore. Nov 2010 I had micro-fracture knee surgery which then required PT and I'm just done. I feel like I'm just going to be named a wimp and get passed from doctor to doctor again... What should I do I mean I'm 15 and no one really seems to know what to do. All of these injuries are soccer related could my neck be hurt from soccer becausr of being goalie? I'm just....wanting something to work because even surgery seemed to not work or fix the problem

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I would see a pain dr that would check your neck out and see if you could benefit from a steroid shot in your neck.

Also do you take a lot of pain meds? They can give you worse headaches.

NeNe_11 responded:
Maybe you would benefit from chiro adjustments & message and the use of heat & ice. I have the same problem with my neck & I totally relate to that bone being in pain as well as the base of the skull. I rely on heat & ice, myself, but have done the chiro thing & it did help. Also, it is important to gently stretch your neck muscles several times a day-you can google for these exercises & you can do them anywhere.

Take Care

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Neck problems can be from soccer---you should see a neurologist, because concussion and head injury are common in soccer players, and cause headaches also.

Neck problems and headaches are not usually treated with surgery, and there are several medications that can help without interfering with sports.

Nadima17 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Wow! I didnt think anyone would ever respond! Thanks its a really good feeling that someone else has the same neck pain that I have... Have you gone to the doctor for ur pain at all? Thanks again hope you feel better to

Nadima17 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center