Skip to content
Migraines causing numbness?
smtrone1 posted:
I had to make a trip to the emergency room last night due to a very progressive migraine started at 6:00 and I was throwing up by 9:30. I have had migraines since I was 14 so I know what to do. But this morning when I woke up my arms and legs were almost completely numb.... its been over an hour and the only change is its now my just my hands and knees down to ankles. I am worried cause this has never happened before ya my arms or legs will go to sleep but only take a few minutes to wake up. Is there a connection and should I call doc on Monday?

mymygraine responded:
I am sorry you are having this trouble and that now one has seen this post earlier. If your symptoms have not subsided, I would run to the nearest emergency room and get checked for signs of a stroke. That kind of numbness is not associated with migraines but could be signs of a stroke. At this point you are beyond the 3 hour window where much can be done about it, but you need medical advice anyway, and I hope that it is just a really bad migraine that is increasing in symptoms. You do need to be checked in any case. Everyone is different and if you have been having these kind of symtoms before, it may be just an acceleration of the same symptoms indicating a change in the migraines, which does happen over time. However, because one side of your body is effected, I would get it checked immediatly. I hope it is nothing seriouse, and you are better even as I write this. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center