Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weather related migraines
Stellabug posted:
I have had migraines for years. MAXALT is a lifesavor! Its the only medication that works. The problem is, it doesnt work on weather related headaches that tend to turn into migraines. I can tell hours before its going to rain, because it feels like I have a C-Clamp on my forehead crushing my skull! I can breathe fine...so its not where my sinus's get blocked. Any ideas to help with these kind of headaches. I have to take a couple of the Maxalts just to get it to lighten up, but the MAXALT is not as effective as it normally is for a regular migraine. (BTW, that is the ONLY drug that works for me, I have tried them all) Any ideas?

allie_bf responded:
I have weather-related migraines, too. I'm sure it's related to barometric pressure changes since I also have migraines associated with altitude which are horrendous if I'm on a plane where there are pressurization problems. I haven't found any way to avoid these other than to make sure that I have my Imitrex with me 24/7 when it looks like it will storm, and take my first dose as soon as possible. Like you, I have one drug that works reliably, but it's Imitrex (Maxalt works a bit, and Relpax does absolutely nothing.)

Coki2010 replied to allie_bf's response:
I live at altitude so I hear you with the changes. Maxalt works for me and Relpax has in the past but Imitrex never did. So, some did and some did not. On an airplane the old trick is to use two paper cups with paper towels in the bottome soaked with hot water. As you are taking off (and especially) landing put the paper cups over your ears (openings with your ears in them) like you were listening to paper cup phone. It totally works. I had lots of trouble with that growing up and landing in Florida was very difficult for me.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Drink coffee right when the pain hits or the pressure in this case.

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center