Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Nortriptyline-how long do I have to stay on it?
Klammath; posted:
Hi-My doctor prescribed Nortriptyline for my headaches. I am at the three dose per day level and my headaches have finaly subsided. My question is how long do they usually want you to keep taking the meds? I don't have any adverse side effects but I don't like the idea of having to take these pills everyday. Thank you in advance for any insight you may share.

NeNe_11 responded:
Your doctor has put you on nortriptyline as a preventative-so you will are supposed to take it everyday & continue to do so as long as it helping to prevent the headaches.

Klammath; replied to NeNe_11's response:
So, I stay on them indefinitely?

NeNe_11 replied to Klammath;'s response:
You take them as directed by your doctor. If it does'nt help you can try something else. Good Luck!

gmbuckalew responded:
I've been taking it as a preventative since April 2009, when I was officially diagnosed w/ migraines and it's been a lifesaver. The frequency of migraines has downgraded and it actually helps me sleep. One of the side effects is drowsiness, so it does help. That's the only other thing I've noticed with it other than helping my migraines. I take it with Topomax, nightly.
Like NeNe11 said, if it doesn't work for you always ask for an alternative but don't stop taking any medication w/o talking to your doctor. Good luck!!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
If it is working for your headaches, its reasonable to stay on it for awhile. Usually I tell patients that after some time, we can gradually taper off the prevention medication.

How soon you taper down depends on how long you were having problems from your headaches. It your headaches were a problem for many years, you may want to stay on the medication longer.

Klammath; replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Collins that answers my question. I am at the 5ea 10mg per day dose now and it has been such a relief not to have the pain everyday. I just phoned in for my first refill so I will be able to see how long the doc wants me to stay the course.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center