Skip to content
Chronic headaches/nausea
LWGolden225 posted:
For the past 2 months, I've been suffering from horrible headaches and nausea every day, all day. For the past 2 years, I seem to get sick every 2-3 months and can't ever shake it. It's always underlying. On my first (of the recent) doctor's visit (2 mths ago), I was originally treated for sinusitis with a steroid shot and antibiotics. I went back 6 weeks later and was again treated with a stronger antibiotic for the same. A chest x-ray was done and came back clear. I went to my GP in complete misery and did a CT Scan of my head, which came back clear, and blood tests (thyroid, glucose, anemia, liver, and a few others I can't remember), which all came back clear. I am still having the constant, every day horrible headache and nausea. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I am confused, concerned and completely miserable.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Get your regular GP to refer you to a nuerologist. I don't know if the sinusitis has anything to do with your headaches, unless you might have cluster headaches. Do you have pain behind your eye?

youtuber responded:
Hi. A close friend of mine is suffering nearly the exact symptoms, and has had nearly the exact results from the doctor visits so far. Do you have an update? Was there an underlying condition? How long did the headaches last?

itmatsb responded:
You don't mention any treatments or medications that have been prescribed to treat your headaches. Have you gotten any meds or treatments?

The reason why they do the CT scan is to rule out any more serious illnesses that you might have, such as multiple sclerosis or a brain aneurysm. Or the blood tests can easily treat other maladies. Many people do not show any clinical reason for their terrible migraines, but they still get treatment. The first most common first step is to give you a daily preventative migraine medication, because taking any pain reliever, even OTC ones, can cause bad rebound headaches.

There are many other medications and other treatments for migraines. So I agree to go to a neurologist or a pain management doctor.

And don't believe that your horrible headaches are from your sinuses. If they are truly horrible, as mine were, two neurologists, a pulmonologist and a second opinion from another ENT doctor, all told me that in no way could my severe migraines be caused by my sinus infection--which I still had.

The first ENT doctor recommended surgery which he said might not help my migraines. He was right, that it would never have helped my migraines.

So get some help treating your migraines.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center