Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is my wife Epileptic or is just Migraine?
bharani286 posted:
Hello Everybody,
My wife had unbearable headache, 72 hours back and was taken to the causality ward in the hospital. They gave her a shot of Ketonov (NSAD) and after about an hour she had a 10% reduction in the pain. She was administered another injection called zofor as she vomited thrice that night. She was later prescribed Gabantin 100 mg for the last 3 days. She was also asked to take Topirol 50 mg morning and night dose. Macorate had been prescribed for sleep but i did not allow her to take it. 72 hours down, headache keeps emerging and the pills are popped. If it was a severe bout of migraine she must've responded well for the drug but this is hinting something else. Most of the above being epileptic drugs is my wife epileptic? Does she need to go in for regular epileptic treatment? She was on that for 1 and 1/2 yrs , 5 yrs back when she used to have absent seizures ( frequent faintings - 3-5 times per day. MRI revealed lacuna infarct in the brain ( legion in the brain). Kindly help......

allie_bf responded:
There is a lot of overlap in the use of drugs for seizures and migraines. Unless your wife has been told that she has a seizure disorder, there is no reason to believe that she does, based solely on her use of the medications that you have mentioned. Migraine headaches do have a tendency to keep remerging once they are well established, and for that reason it is better to take migraine medication as early as possible so that the headache is "stopped in its tracks." I am curious as to why you did not want her to take the sedative medication; very often sleep is the best thing for recovery, and it can slow down a headache that keeps coming back and back again.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Dis you mean Zofor? Gabapentin would take at least a month to start working so don't stop that one. It's a preventative not an abortive. Macorate is a vasodilater, and herein I think you shoulsd get a new dr, hopefully a neurologist becasue I'm no tsure about the meds they gave her. The epileptive meds are also used for migraines. But for the seizures and other problems you would need to see a nuero as soon as possible.

carpetcrawler5 replied to allie_bf's response:
I take amitriptyline for sleep, so that's another one she could try eventually. Do you know anything else about the Macorate? I looked it up but couldn't find much on it.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center