Skip to content
Nortriptyline withdrawl
MOOCHIE111 posted:
I stopped taking Nortriptyline about 2 months ago. I am not sleeping well, cry easily, am extremely fatigued and am depressed and anxious. Has anyone experienced these symptoms after stopping Nortriptyline? And how long do these symptoms last?

NeNe_11 responded:
My doctor wants me off of nortriptyline & wants to replace it with prozac. He told me there is no need to taper off-im worried I will have withdrawl effects as well.

MOOCHIE111 replied to NeNe_11's response:
I am sure that not everyone has withdrawl symptoms. I think that my doctor was suprised that I did. I was on 75mg/day for at least 10years. I am sure that has something to do with it. Plus I was also on several other Migraine preventive medications so it may be a combination.

carpetcrawler5 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Yeah you have to taper off or you might get a seizure. Prozac isn't a good headache preventative because it can make headaches worse.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
So why did you stop taking the Nortriptyline? Did it work for you at all? That is actually a low dose, some people take as much as 150 mgs. Tried Amitriptyline? It would help you sleep even at a low dose.

MOOCHIE111 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I was taking Nortriptyline for Migraine prevention. My migraines have improved significantly. My neurologist is trying to taper me off my migraine medications. So far he has taken me off Nortriptyline and Cyproheptadine.

MOOCHIE11

NeNe_11 replied to MOOCHIE111's response:
My migraine meds have stopped working so my migraine doctor is taking me off of nortriptyline, propranolol & maxalt. I will still take gabapentin & add the prozac & use the Sumavel pen as an abortative. He has prescribed dexamethasone for 12 days to help with headaches, as I am not allowed to take anymore nsaids.

Has anyone tried Sumavel DosePro?

Helpful Tips

Migraines
laying down in a dark room always helps me. More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center