Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does Your Family Understand?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Does your family understand your migraines?
Mine knows exactly what to do, and that usually consists of them doing nothing. I need to be quiet and laying down in a dark, quiet room.
Does your family understand what to do or better yet, what not to do....?
Chrissy~

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-William Ellery Channing

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I take care of my mom who rarely gets out of her chair all day because of severe back problems. She is the only other person in our house so I pretty much get up when ever I'm feeling ok and do chores, but I spend a lot of time in bed. recently we got a letter from the homeowner's society saying they felt our yard needed landscaping. So have to get up and take care of that although I don't always feel well.

As far as the rest of my family go, they live far and only visit a couple of times a month. If you count my cat, he sometimes doesn't understand what's going on either and since he's so needy and craves attention I spend a lot of time in bed listening to him meow endlessly until I get up and pay attention to him and feed him.

JanetPl responded:
My husband and little girl are actually pretty good about giving me some down time when I need it. My little girl will even bring me a cold rag. (I do this for her when she isn't feeling well.) Thankfully, my gynecologist (of all people) suggested I try Imitrex (sumitriptan), and it has changed my life! She said it might not work, but it really does -- for me anyway. I take the generic now, and it works just as well. I'm always looking out for triggers and trying to avoid having to take a pill -- but it is nice to know I can take one if I need it, and I'll be back amongst the living shortly. I'm sure everyone is different, though.

NeNe_11 responded:
No, not really. No one can possibly understand, medical community included, unless they experience migraines themselves.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center