Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Top of Head/swollen veins?
fibropain1 posted:
I am wondering if any of you having a really bad migraine have these swollen bumps or veins - something - on your scalp? It hurts right on the top of the head and when you touch the scalp, it feels swollen and bumpy. It is hard to explain and weird. Can you have vericose veins in the head when you have a migraine? HELP!

lisahauer09 responded:
Hi fibro, have you told your dr about this? It could be anything.

juliexamill responded:
I've never noticed anything that severe, but I have noticed that when i get migraines a vein on my temple is swollen and noticeable. When I don't have a migraine you can't even tell there's a vein there. You should definitely talk to a doc though.

lisahauer09 responded:
Hi, fibro. I feel sorry for whoever has this painful condition. I have heard it can cause headaches. Have you told your dr about this? He or she may give you an MRV. This would show the veins in your head. I couldn't know what it could be myself, but it sounds painful. I do know that there are some major veins in that area, and i have had pain there myself. Mostly you would need to get some type of anti-inflammatory drug. See if you can get some Indomethicin, but don't take it every day because it can cause stomach irritation.

JuanderfulTX responded:
I was wondering what ever happened to you. Did you find out what about those bumps. I have similar issues and migraines.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to JuanderfulTX's response:
There are 2 things that cause this in migraine: The blood vessels are swollen in migraine (it is part of the migraine process) and nerves in the scalp are hyper-sensitive (also part of the migraine process).

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center