Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Migraines and Adderall?
An_241322 posted:
I have been suffering from migraines for over 15 years (I am a 54 yr old woman) and no preventive med has helped me. Maxalt will take the migraine away but I take way too many of those. I actually tried my daughter's adderall (15 mg once in the morning), and I couldn't believe it but I did not have a headache all day, and I didn't wake up with one the next morning. My head felt clear for once in my life! I've seen a couple people post that adderall helped them with their migraines also , but I think it was prescribed to them for ADD. Could it be that I have ADD? Has any neurologist you know ever prescribe adderall for migraines? I am anxiously awaiting my dr.'s appt. so I can bring this up to him. I know you're not supposed to take prescriptions without a doctor, but you know, you get a little desperate sometimes and will try almost anything when you suffer for so long. Thanks for listening and hope someone can relate to this post.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

itmatsb responded:
Hi, I just looked up Adderal and didn't see any mention of it treating migraines. Maybe you're on to something new. I would greatly appreciate learning what your doctor has to say about it as it might help me or someone else.

But do get a doctor's prescription due to what else I read in Wikipedia: "Because Adderall may increase blood pressure , it carries the same risk of sudden death , stroke , and heart attack , as do methylphenidate and other stimulants used to treat ADHD, as well as the same risk of seizures . . . " And from what I"ve heard someone who has ADHD responds differently to the medication than someone who does not have it.

Please get back to us about it. Thanks.

carpetcrawler5 replied to itmatsb's response:
Adderal is an amphetamine. Why it helped your mig I couldn't say, except that with everyone it's different. It would be worth it if someone would study it for migraines, but your case may be isolated.

Swimgirl57 replied to itmatsb's response:
Yes I will let you know... my appt. is this coming Thursday. He's probably going to look at me like an addict, but I'm not, I'm just desperate to live a normal life again, and I'm sure you all know what I mean if you've been suffering from migraines for so many year. I've been very careful and checking my blood pressure -- it has risen it a little, but I also have Inderal (bp medicine) and if I take that every night my bp seems to be excellent. I know I am probably playing with fire here treating myself, but I've only had to take one migraine pill (maxalt) in a week, when before it's been about 3 per week. I have read where adderall has helped some people with depression so I'm wondering maybe i am a little depressed, however, I always thought it was the migraines that would cause the depression! lol Anyway, I will update you all as soon as I can. Thanks for your responses.

So I have cut down my dose to about 5-7 mg of the adderall daily, and migraines have still subsided -- and also have not taken as much excedrin...so it is really interesting, isn't it? My appt. is in a couple of days so we'll see what he says.

itmatsb replied to Swimgirl57's response:
We'll all be interested in what the doc has to say, but it certainly sounds promising.

So I saw the Neurologist today and I did ask him about adderall for migraines and he said that he has never treated anyone with that drug. I told him how it seemed to work for me, but he said that it's probably the amphetamine in the adderall. It was kind of making me feel weird anyway, so probably not a healthy drug to take for that, unless you really do need it for other things. So he gave me a new prescription -- this time for Pamelor, (or Noritriptylene). I've heard some good things about this drug for preventing migraines. Anyone else try Pamelor?

To swimgirl57: I'm sorry to hear that the adderall was not a good choice, but it says a lot about you to care about your health over a temporary high. I have not tried Pamelor, but I applaud you for trying it. There may be other preventative meds that you haven't tried as well, e.g. an herbal one called Petadolex, or Savelle which I am now trying. It's only FDA approved for Fibromyalgia, but has the same ingredients as an anti-depressant which are also taken as preventative pills because they also kill pain.

You also mentioned taking Maxalt too often. That can lead to rebound headaches. If you're able to find something else and can reduce the frequency of Maxalt, that could really help your frequency of headaches.

I have suffered from chronic daily headaches, but what often heads them off and does not go into the blood stream is a transdermal gel. I would be happy to supply you with the details if you're interested.

But again, I greatly applaud your decision here. Good luck.

Thank you itmatsb, I have tried a few other preventative meds but have had side effects, i.e., inderal, topamax, propanalol... i'm sure I'm forgetting something. I am interested in this gel...Do you need a prescription and will a dr. prescribe it for migraines? I have also tried a magnesium lotion, but didn't help. I was taking a magnesium pill that I swore helped me tremendously for two months straight (unless it was just a coincidence); waking up with a clear head was the greatest thing ever...even my daughters noticed how much more energy I had and I was happy! But then when I ran out I couldn't find the exact brand, and the new magnesium pills just didn't work. I am now also taking a liquid magnesium that you mix in water...about 400 mg, haven't noticed anything yet but I know it takes awhile. I am a little nervous to try the Noritriptylene but I have read some positive comments about it.

Hi Swimgirl,
The skin gel helps my headaches from getting far worse most of the time, but you need to apply it as soon as you feel the headache. You do need a prescription for it and you need to find a pharmacy that can compound the meds in it. The ingredients are:
Amitrityline-2%, Ketoprofen — 10%, Gabapentin 3%, Lidocaine2%, and Transdermal Gel — 60 g. TID

You can call around to other pharmacies and ask if they know of one that will able to mix them for you. There's only 1 pharmacy here that does it.

Apply it exactly where the headache is. Avoid getting any of it in your eyes. But I've put it just above my eyes in the corner near where my nose is and it does not go into my eyes. And be sure to wash it off before you get into the shower to prevent it getting from getting into your eyes. It is kind of sticky, so I don't like putting it where my hair is.

It's been absolutely terrific for me.

One of my neurologists also suggested that I take magnesium, but I didn't notice any difference from taking it. I would be interested in which type of magnesium does end up helping you, so that I can try it too. Thanks.

Thanks for the info... I'll let you know if the Magnesium starts helping -- so far it hasn't. I haven't started on the Noritriptylene yet -- I thought i better wait until after Thanksgiving in case I have any side effects... I think my Neurologist seemed a little put off that I was suggesting to him him what I thought I should try (haha!), so I have to handle him with gentle gloves... you know what I mean? But I was just asking him about oxygen treatment, but I guess that's for cluster headaches. I wish he was a little bit more personable, it's hard to get much out of him. Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate it!

It sounds like your neurologist is not the best with his
state of mind. Your doctor should be open to any suggestion that you have, but at least he is continuing to try medications for you. Let's see what he's really made of when you suggest the skin gel that I told you about. HaHa. A University of Michigan neurologist at it's Pain Clinic prescribed it for me, but another neurologist at U.of M. had not heard of it. I don't know how bad your headaches are or what else you have tried, but there are a lot of other treatments, including nerve block injections, Botox injections, and an opiote patch called Butrans that just came out this year. Those treatments have helped me a lot. Probably your neurologist hasn't heard of Butrans either. It's not supposed to be addictive with no withdrawal symptoms. I've been given that and more meds because I have daily headaches which are very hard to treat and especially being caused by my stroke.

If he's not amenable to trying the skin gel, find another neurologist. You deserve it. I really wish you the best. Sara

Thanks Sara. I just wish my Neurologist would sit back and act like he's not in a hurry... I forgot to ask him about Botox injections. I had my list but again I felt like he was just trying to get back on the next medication I should try. Oh well, I'll give the Neurotriptylene a try next week, because my headaches are daily lately. Sometimes when I wake up around 4 a.m. I won't have a headache, but it's too early to get up so I'll sleep until 6:00 and have a darn headache!! I should have gotten up at 4:00 I guess. I've asked about sleep apnea and he said that I'm too thin to have that (huh?). Yesterday, Thanksgiving morning, I woke up with a headache, and I was having all my family over... so I started out taking a Maxalt, and then took a Tylenol w/codein, and I started feeling better about noon when I had to put our meal together (thank God!). It turned out to be a great day, but wish we wouldn't have to take all this medication just to feel like a normal person. Wah wah wah.... sorry. But I know you all know what I mean! Thanks again for all your replies. Have a great week!

Hi, Put the skin gel (posting above) on your list to ask him about because the medication does not go into your bloodstream since you mention that you hate taking all the medication. You might want to find the pharmacy that supplies it first so that you can provide that info to the "barely there" doctor. Such a shame for you to have to deal with him.

Just as an aside, at least you can get back to normal from taking the medication. A lot of the time, I can't get better no matter what, including the ER which only makes me a little bit better when it gets really bad and I'm vomiting everything up.

But I know what you mean about the constant intrusion into your life. A daily problem throws your whole life off. I am really sorry about it all for you. And you deserve a much better doctor who will try a lot more for you, especially after suffering from this for the last 15 years.

I'm currently trying to change 3 medications simultaneously. I think the one, Savella, is causing me extreme nausea daily. I don't know how much longer I can wait to find out if the nausea will go away. And I'm experiencing some mental confusion which makes it almost impossible for me to type this out.

All my best to you.

Thanks so much for all your help. I am so sorry you don't get much relief from your migraines. Do you have any anti-nausea medication? That really helped me with the nausea -- I actually haven't had that in awhile. I'm going to start my new medication this weekend so hopefully I won't have any weird side effects. And I do know of a compounding pharmacy in our area but I won't see the Neuro until Feb. The mental confusion would def. be hard to deal with.... how long have you been taking the Savella now? I would give it 4-5 weeks myself.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Soda for Sinuses
I know this sounds crazy but I swear by a can of Coca-Cola whenever my sinus headaches flare. Gives me a long for medicine to kick into ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center