Skip to content
exercise induced migraines and numbness on left side of body
skypper posted:
Has anyone heard of this or does anyone deal with this?
Is it normal?

I have been trying to exercise a little lately, nothing too strenuous at all, just some fast walking and very light jogging with my dogs.

Well so far, without fail each time I take them out, I start to develop a migraine at about my halfway point, which by the end of the day turns into a full-blown migraine that completely incapacitates me, i mean can't open my eyes or talk right, dizzy and horrible, horrible headache and vomiting. Also when I get home my face is always super red and blotchy.

So today just after we started walking I noticed my toes were tingling and numb

Then about halfway my hand and arm started doing the same thing and to be honest looked red and blotchy, like my face gets. (all on the left side)

So when I got home I sat down for a few minutes, was feeling sort of dizzy/weak and shaking a bit.

My head is really starting to hurt now.
I just had full blood panels done by my doctor last month and everything came back excellent according to him, and my creatinine came back low at 0.53 L which he said was really good and shows my kidneys are functioning great.

So I don't know what to think, has anyone here experienced anything like this or heard of this happening before? Is it all migraine related or possibly something else?

And I'm going to try a new med today, Amerge, for my migraines, my doc has also added Nortriptalyne as a preventative (hopefully it works) I was previously taking Imitrex but it did nothing at all for me.

Any advice, info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

Weezie6452 responded:
I have had similar symptoms. Eventually they found that I also had mitral valve prolapse with the migraines. Exercising triggered both, a rapidly accelerating heart rate which then pushed into a migraine. Perhaps you can ask your doctor for an EKG and an echocardiogram to see if you have that. Now I get my exercise by walking and Pilates, I can't tolerate big aerobic workouts. Hope this helps. Louise

carpetcrawler5 responded:
You can go up to 150 mgs of Amitriptyline before you can tell if it's working sometimes, with Nortriptyline I 'm not sure. Most neuros prescribe Amitriptyline. If that doesn't work there are many others. If the Amerge doesn't help you, you may not respond to triptans. If so, you could try taking Indomethicin, Mobic or Etadolac to abort your headaches, but don't take them daily because they can cause stomach upset.

Obviously one of your triggers is excercise. Try not to walk in a hot environment, or try swimming because you won't get overheated.

carpetcrawler5 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
also try putting ice around your head when you excercise.

itmatsb responded:
My migraines are almost entirely fueled by any physical activity. And I read that exercise changes the blood flow into the brain which can exacerbate them. But then I already have 24/7 headaches. You need to try the prophylactics mentioned above which may help you. Also wondering if the doctor has suggested an MRI or CT scan to diagnose the cause.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center