Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I Can't Skip Class Anymore...
EgosumEpic posted:
I have been victim to migraines for a long time now. Ever since I was little. I wake up with them sometimes but often I get them because I dont have time to eat lunch because my schedule and workload are ridiculous. It was the last straw when I got an awful one last night. I began sweating, was disoriented, and could only stay in bed because I felt too nauseous when I walked (so I couldn't get food). The funny thing is they don't go away when I eat. I get about three or four a month. When I bring it up to doctors all they do is tell me to eat, (really you should see my options and my schedule). Medications NEVER help and I usually end up throwing up by the night time. They last all day and it makes me feel like I have the plague. I'm worried because I still have my migraine even after eating breakfast. My friend said it sounded like I have a stomach virus (the barfing and such). But I'm not sure. I'm losing my free days to skip class. I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Swimgirl57 responded:
I usually wake up with my migraines also - and used to be about 3 or 4 times per month, but now they are a couple times per week. Have you tried all the triptan-type drugs like Maxalt, Axert, or Imitrex? These work wonders for a lot of migraine sufferers. I'm not sure how old you are...high school or college, but I would ask your doctor about these drugs, and also an anti-nausea prescription -- sometimes that can help also with the actual headache but really takes away the nausea. I take Maxalt and sometimes an anti-nausea medication together. Don't give up -- you have to be aggressive with your doctors. And also ask for an MRI to rule out anything else -- unless you've already done that. I feel your pain, we are all in this together!

itmatsb responded:
So sorry to hear about your difficulties. I used to get headaches most of the time when I was in grade school, which I later found out was from eating a sugary, low calorie breakfast. Even in high school and college, I realized that if I didn't eat a good breakfast and a good lunch, I would get a bad headache by late afternoon. You can carry food with you to eat on the run. Now I even have protein bars in my purse, so that if I don't have time for a meal, at least I have those bars in my body system. Once the headache arrives, it is almost impossible to get rid of it. I don't know if there's something about yours and my systems that cause the headaches from not eating, I can't tell you because I was never diagnosed as hypoglycemic.

Now I have far worse daily migraines which is a whole different story. But sorry to reiterate what your doctors have told you, but it is up to you to stop your headaches by eating.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
If you only get that many a month, get some coffee or chocolate right away when the pain first hits. Follow this with the protein bars suggested by the other poster.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center