Skip to content
Migraine or Cluster Headaches?
Anon_57501 posted:
I recently started taking Topamax for the treatment of chronic migraines back at the end of July after suffering through a month of continuous daily headaches and 3 major ones that had me to the point I couldn't get out of bed they hurt so bad and I almost went to the emergency room. After starting the Topamax, my symptoms improved, and I haven't had any major episodes, until this week, I've been having small daily headaches again, and sharp shooting pains on the front right side of my forehead and behind my right eye. This is exactly the same problem I was having back in July right before I started(and in the middle of) having the really bad headaches. I need some advice, is it possible that these could be cluster headaches maybe rather than migraines, or both? I don't know how this works! And if so, should I be making an appointment with the neurologist soon? These headaches make me miserable, any help would be great!

HeadachesSuck22 responded:
When you have these headaches, do your eyes or does your eye water? Is your nose stuffy?
Sandra

Cindy6649 replied to HeadachesSuck22's response:
I just returned from my neurologist and was surprised to learn that there are many different types of migraines. I was in a car accident recently and mine is more trauma related and, although I've never had cluster headaches, I understand that migraines have other symptoms like vision problems, nausea, etc. that cluster headaches don't have. I would call the doctor for an appointment if it's consistent and doesn't get better soon because you may need to adjust the medication.

Sandra, I'm curious, what does it mean if you have a stuffy nose and have watery eyes?

kylersnanna7 responded:
Hi, I would call & get in to see the neuro. I have had migraines since I was a kid & I'm 52 now. I have been told I have "cluster migraines" which the neuro said were the 2 of them together, ugh! I was on Topamax for several years along with Elavil to help prevent them & it worked but my body is such that after awile things stop working & have to get something else. We are trying about the 3rd new thing and it's not working!! I was on 150mg of Elavil @ bedtime & twice a day 100mg ea of the Topamax. So keep heart, maybe they need to just increase it. Let me know what the doc says, ok? Diane

HeadachesSuck22 replied to Cindy6649's response:
I am glad to hear you know that it is trauma related as opposed to not knowing why you have these headaches. I'm sorry to hear about the car accident.

Two of the symptoms of Cluster Headaches are runny nose and watery eyes.
Sandra

Cindy6649 replied to HeadachesSuck22's response:
Thanks Sandra. I have a stuffy nose and watery eyes but I have other migraine symptoms like sensitivity to light and sound and a weird inability to say certain words and other speech and comprehension issues. I should probably be sure to tell the doctor about my nose and eyes next time.

I'm trying to reach the neurologist today because he thought a steroid dose pack would help but it hasn't. I'm still miserable.

carpetcrawler5 replied to Cindy6649's response:
It's one of the symptoms of clusters.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
For some people topamax worked but then stopped. That's what happened to me, it finally helped but then after a month it stopped. You could ask to try Zonegran, it helps some people who were helped by topamax.

HeadachesSuck22 replied to Cindy6649's response:
The stuffy nose and watery eyes sound like cluster headaches. The sensitivity to light and sound, sounds like migraines. I'm not to sure about the speech issues. I would advise you to tell your doctor as soon as can. Have you tried imitrex by any chance? It works for my Mom.

I am sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time. I know what you're going through. But hang in there, and remember that there is a community of people here that understand how you're feeling and sometimes that helps.
Sandra

An_241858 replied to HeadachesSuck22's response:
hi, actually the whole sinus, watery eyes, neck and shoulder pains that we probably all experience are part and parcel of the glory of the migraines. there are so many types, and lucky me gets every kind (except cluster although I can get them for days in a row)...I have be reading and researching anything I can find. I too tried Topamax and it made me incredibly sick after getting to 100mg. I am still searching for answers and have been told to get off all prescription meds (even though Relpax now helps in an emergency), get on a migraine free diet, no coffee at all... had a sleep study which basically said...surprise I have trouble sleeping. sometimes I think doctors just find work for themselves . Anyway, my point is the symptoms you are describing, as I understand what i've read and my own experience where those symptoms are concerned are a sign that it is a migraine vs. you everyday headache. When I am in a full blown migraine I also am super sensitive to light, sound, can't speak or walk without assistance, and usually at that point end up with a shot of something. I am feeling equally frustrated; tired; depressed and just worn down. I can't find a doctor who wants to listen or they are not available for half a year. Finding this discussion group is the only support I am getting from other sufferers so it has been helpful to read that i/we are not alone. I agree we need to 'hang in there,' so I will fight the fight and share what i learn as I struggle with finding a doctor who cares and figure out what to do with this whole take emergency meds, preventive meds or a whole lot of ibuprofen mega doses. thanks for reading listening to me rant. I hope maybe my experieces will help someone else understand their own.

HeadachesSuck22 replied to An_241858's response:
I too have done a bit of research and what I have found, is that "yes", a stuffy nose and watery eyes are a clear indication of cluster headaches. An "everyday headache" as you say is completly different for everyone, but what I have read and experienced myslef is that they do not come with the sinus symptoms as you would experience with a cluster headache. Usually, a migraine is felt a tad stronger on the right side of the head/face. Like I said, it can be different for everyone. What you feel with a "full blown migraine", you would not feel with a cluster headache.

I am sorry to hear you are frustrated, tired, depressed, and worn down. I hope that things start looking up for you. I am glad to hear that you have found support with this community. You can find many great people here that genuinely care for you. Good Luck with everything.
Sandra

Norml4two0 replied to Cindy6649's response:
The only thing that will throw cluster headaches off course is Lysergic acid diethylamide, Psilocybin has also been known to throw cluster headaches off course and it some cases prevent them. Do your research!

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 109 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center