Skip to content
Extremely painful, sudden pressure headache at back of the head.
TesslynB posted:
I recently experienced a very sudden, very serious pain at the flat part of the back of my head that lasted only about twenty minutes and hurt the most when I was laying down. Both times this happened it woke me up suddenly. The pain is absolutely debilitating; the first time it happened I scratched parts of my scalp off trying to get rid of it. It's very centered at the back, slightly up part of my head, and webs out about two inches around. It never touched my face, temples, or behind my eyes. The was not stabbing, but like a very painful pressure around the parietal plate (I think?) of the skull and resulted in a stiffness and similar pain in my neck. Very, very scary.

i suffered trauma after falling down the stairs and slamming that part of my head into a cement wall at school. i don't know if it is related, as it happened about a year and a half ago and it was only a minor concussion, but I never got it looked at. I also have migranes very often, about one to two times per week, but this pain is very different from that pain.
Please help! This is very scary and extremely painful! I just want to find out why this is happening.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi TesslynB and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain, and just hearing about that fall hurts!!

I didn't see the part about you going to the doctors, if you have not then you need to get to the doc and tell him/her just what you have shared with us. Please check in again and I hope you feel better soon, but please know there is no guessing at this, you need to see a doctor.
Chrissy~

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-William Ellery Channing

carpetcrawler5 responded:
For the record, try drinking coffee right away right when your migraine hits. Seen a dr about either one of these conditions?Sometimes head injuries can cause problems for years.

Cindy6649 responded:
Cluster headaches come on very suddenly, are usually very intense and usually only last a few minutes (as opposed to migraines that can come on more slowly, vary in intensity and can last for a much longer period of time). Cluster headaches though tend to come back more often than migraines from what I understand. Either way, you should see a doctor.

Good Luck!
Cindy

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center