Skip to content
Haven't heard of anyone else with these symptoms - help!
barracuda8963 posted:
I had my last baby at age 34. About a year later went back on birth control. Shortly after I started experiencing some strange health symptoms. First was a bout of depression (not so strange), but then I started feeling ill. I have a handicapped son and it was everything I could do to get him dressed in the mornings, all I wanted or could do is lay around. My ears had a ringing in them as if I was standing under power lines, I was always out of breath. I was naucious all the time. Had a headache (nothing severe) that wouldn't go away with any over-the-counter concoction I could come up with. Finally after 31 days of misery I went to the Dr. He said I probably was experiencing aura migraines without pain. He put me on a beta blocker and took me off birth control. That helped for about a year and then they came back. I figured out that it seemed to start out with the ringing in my ears ( I can't remember if it was before my period started or a couple days into it) but then naucia - out of breath - general 'feel like crap' days that would last for 4-7 days. Then I would get a headache so bad that I would have to go in for a shot of Demerol which would stop all symptoms but the ringing in my ears. That would take another couple days. I went to see a pharmisist and tried hormone therapy.. didn't touch it. I went to a nuerologist who tried all the different meds.. topamax.. lamictal... too many to remember. Which I think some did lessen the severity, and some interrupted the signal so I would get them either a couple days before my period instead of a couple days into it, but they keep coming like clock work. Most of the time I feel like I have the flu for 4-7 days every single month. I have read about a lot of people suffering from migraines with pain and without pain, but most aura sufferers seem to have vision problems, where mine is in my ears. Just wondering if anyone has these flu-like symptoms or if anyone knows of any other thing to try? I have been through all the MRI's and other tests to rule out tumors, etc. Clearly this is a menstral problem... I have an appt. on 12/7 for an ultra sound and have an ablation scheduled for end of month. I have my fingers crossed for some kind of relief! I am only 43 and other than this am an extremely healthy person. I have young children and can't afford to lose 7 days each month to being ill!

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya and welcome!

You have a lot going on and it's not for lack of trying that you have not been feeling well! Sounds like you are in the right direction with seeing the doc and the ablation scheduled. I had one done and it was a help to me. I hope it has great results for you as well.

Please let us know what the doc says and how it all goes. I hope you check in again soon. Feel better!!
Chrissy~

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-William Ellery Channing

barracuda8963 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much. I will let you know.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center