Skip to content
Rebound from one dose of Sumavel?
NoMoreJim posted:
Last week I tried Sumavel for the first time. It was an all around bad experience. but it did, for the most part make my headache go away, that is, until that night(I tried it at about 1030am) by the time I went to bed(1030pm) my headache was getting worse again(never totally went away) and when I woke up the next morning it as back 2x! I could hardly function, not to mention that I still felt awful from the other side effects I had from the Sumavel(nausea, heavy feeling, elephant on my chest feeling) so my question is, has anyone ever gotten a rebound from just one dose of a triptan? I did also take a 550mg naproxen (which is what my neurologist told me to do before the sumavel) but one naproxen and one dose of sumavel hardly seems like enough to cause a rebound...

Any thoughts?

Swimgirl57 responded:
I don't think that one dose of the Sumavel, or one dose of any drug, could cause a rebound headache -- there has to be a pattern...taking every day or every other day. I haven't heard of Sumavel. Can someone explain what this drug is?

NoMoreJim replied to Swimgirl57's response:
Actually most triptons can cause rebounding with as little as two dose, which is why I think this might have been a rebound.

Sumavel is sumatripton(imetrex) in a new delivery device. It is a needle free injection(why it matters that it's needle free I don't know, it feels the same as an injection and bleeds like an injection) it uses pressurized air to punch the drug through the skin.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center