Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weather related headaches
BethScholz32 posted:
It has been raining since Sunday morning and I was just wondering...can bad weather trigger headaches?

Ballet17 responded:
OH yes—I usually get a migraine three days before a front or storm rolls through. My friends and co-workers call me the weatherwoman because I can tell everyone the weather is going to change before the weatherman. And it never fails.

BethScholz32 replied to Ballet17's response:
Seasonal or weather changes never used to trigger migraines until recently.

Ballet17 replied to BethScholz32's response:
Mine of certainly gotten worse over the years but a great deal of my migraines come from my neck and I have arthritis in it. One headache will actually trigger another. If my neck is hurting —then my nerves trigger my muscles—my muscles end up causing my blood vessels to start dilate which in turn end up causing a full blown migraine. Atleast that was how they finally explain it. Do you have arthritis in other parts of your body? They say if you suffer from migraines you actually probably suffer from atleast three different types of headaches. . Classic migraine suffers often have their headaches triggered by a drop barometric pressure. I don't think they know exactly why-but lots of suffers (and doctors) will attest to it. Another thing—make sure you don't have some type of allergy that has developed. Maybe gets blown in (mold) or something w/ storms and you have become more sensitive to it. I do know it isn't fun.

Laura0711 replied to Ballet17's response:
Hi Everyone,

I get a migraine every time a new pressure front moves through. Right now I have a severe one and there is a strom front moving through tomorrow. I found it can be a low front or a high front it doesn't matter which one just the change in pressure is all that is needed to set my migraines off and it's really anoying cause here in South Dakota because it seems like the weather changes alot. We have as say here that if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes and it will change.

Laura

confusedalk replied to Laura0711's response:
i'm with you. My migraines, before they went haywire, used to be triggered by 'known' causes like barametric changes, humidity, hormones, rainy days and some food triggers. I wake up with the migraines/headachesand if i look outside i can usually tell what kind of day i will have. The problem is i work in one of those offices with no good ventilation and you can't open windows so it feels like a pressure cooker outside and in...the old band tightening around the head feeling. I am being told to get off all meds except for nsaid meds which are like sugar pills. but like everyone here keeps posting, and it is actually sad to hear how common this is, the doctors don't get it so sharing our stories is the best 'advice' we can get at times. good luck.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center