Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Partial Blindness leading to migraine headache.
smkoberg posted:
I've been suffering from these "Migraines" for a few years now. They are always proceeded by partial blindness, typically in the periphery of my vision. That is how I know I'm about to get a migraine. The usual timeline is as follows: First, I'll begin to lose vision in a small area which then grows, where I cant see out of my peripheral vision. After that peaks, the headache begins and grows in strength. As this is happening my vision slowly returns to normal. The headache can last anywhere between 30 minutes to four hours. A few times I've had my fingers go numb, sometimes, today for example, my whole hand started tingling. The partial blindness always returns before the headache. I've heard of and researched about different types of migraines, but I'm not sure if those are whats happening.

AJH1987 responded:
Are you seeing a neurologist?

I think you might have migraine with aura, but you should double check with a neurologist.

allie_bf responded:
I agree with AJH1987. I have a similar aura, except that it only involves one eye. Check with a neurologist whenever you have new or unexplained migraine symptoms. Whether you try preventative medications is up to him/her, and it depends mostly on the frequency and intensity of the headaches. The preventative medications, and the abortive medications, tend to work on the pain, but do little to address the visual symptoms.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Drink coffee right away the next time it comes back.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center