Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pounding headache
terideejay posted:
I am currently experiencing a pounding headache. With the help of my Dr., I am trying to slowly get off Pristiq. I have had a pounding headache through the night. I take imitrex for migraine headaches and this medicine is taking the headache away by just a margin. Can this headache be a withdraw symptom? The reason I want to get off Pristiq is because I would like to try a more natural way to control my depression. My husband passed a year ago and my Dr. recommended Pristiq. I really like my Dr., and she is trying to help me get off Pristiq. She recommended 100mg(this is what is was taking) every other day and 50mg inbetween, then 50mg for two weeks.

NeNe_11 responded:
I am so sensitive to meds that anytime I begin or end any med I get constant migraines. Hopefully as you get close to tapering all the way off of Pristiq the headaches will subside. Have you tried taking a couple of otc pain meds with the imitrex? I always needed that extra kick my doc said it was ok.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I've heard "natural" remedies don't work, depression is difficult to treat because it is so complex. If I were you I would stay with the Pristiq if it helped you, or did you not like the side effects of it?

itmatsb responded:
I totally agree with Carpetcrawler's comments. The "natural" way is most likely some herbal remedy which has not been FDA approved which means that it is likely to have toxins in it. I was only willing to try an herbal medication which wasn't listed on Consumer Lab which was manufactured in Germany which does evaluate all its vitamins and herbal medications which the US does not evaluate them. Or I use Consumer Lab which tests many of them and often finds contaminants like Lead in them.

And your doctor isn't helping you much get off the Pristiq because it only comes in an XR form which cannot be properly divided up. Another reason to suspect your "doctor". And by the way, asbestos, hemlock and lead are all natural things that will kill you.

If you really do have depression, you are just screwing around by not taking an anti-depressant.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center