Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What is the treatment for mitral valve prolapse?
themitralvalve posted:
Beta-blockers, such as atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor), and propranolol (Inderal), are the drugs of choice.Examples of antibiotics used include oral amoxicillin and erythromycin as well as intramuscular or intravenous ampicillin, gentamycin, and vancomycin.Since valve infection, endocarditis, is a rare, but potentially serious complication of mitral valve prolapse, patients with mitral valve prolapse are usually given antibiotics prior to any procedure which can introduce bacteria into the bloodstream.Patients with severe prolapse, abnormal heart rhythms, spells, significant palpitations, chest pain, and anxiety attacks may need treatment.These act by increasing the size of the left ventricle, thereby reducing the degree of prolapse.These procedures include routine dental work, minor surgery, and procedures that can traumatize body tissues such as , gynecologic, or urologic examinations.

For these individuals, routine examinations including echocardiograms every few years may suffice.The calcium blockers verapamil (Calan) and diltiazem (Cardizem) are useful in patients who cannot tolerate beta-blockers.Therefore, mitral valve prolapse patients with mitral regurgitation are often evaluated annually.The vast majority of patients with mitral valve prolapse have an excellent prognosis and need no treatment.

Mitral regurgitation in patients with mitral valve prolapse can lead to heart failure, heart enlargement, and abnormal rhythms.

Tygr417 responded:
There is surgery for this, if indeed you do have it. You will need to be tested by a qualified neurologist. He/she should be able to perform the test in the office and of course perform the surgery repair itself, on I beleive out patient basis. I have heard that it is positively life altering to migraine sufferers.

I had the test and do not have this condition. My doctor believes my migraines are due to peri/menopausal/and post conditions. He believes they will subside or go away in time. I take his word for it, but for now I feel like a narcotic junkie. It's the only thing that stops them or eases them to the point I can function in a regular daily routine.

I am getting to the point that the prescribed dosage is no longer working and I personally feel I am taking way too much as it is. It's just wrong. There has to be something to deal with 20 hour a day, 5 day a weeks migraines, besides narcotics. I want my life back. Hell, I dont even qualify for disability because beacause I have not worked enough hours in the past few years...........never FREEKIN mind that I worked for 25 years in my younger ages. I hate Obama and I hate my government for letting me down on financial support when I can't work and putting me under the microscope when I take prescibed narcotics. It's a no win situation and if I could just bash my head to peices on a brick wall and splatter my brains so that ther is no more pain....frankly I think it would be a viable option.

I live in pain, in a dark quiet sleeping space with no light or sound for about 78% of my life. Is that a life? Someone tell me how to contribute to life in general or how to get anything out of it.

DON"T take metoprolol. It caused ringing of my ears and caused a significant and substantial increase in my migraines about 6 years ago. I am off it for some time now, but I blame it for making things worse. Don't be a guinea pig for some doctor who has nothing to back up his "genius" theories or ideas.

I am now considering getting the electrical neuro shock treatment (implant) if it is FDA approved. I've been through EVERYTHING including botox, to no avail. Surely this implant couldn't make anything worse. I'm willing to try it. I do need a little more research before I sign my ass away (which is where they store the battery, by the way.) But I so desire a pain free life, that I will try about anything.

I was told to seek medicinal marijuana for chronic pain. Hell, what about medicianal Cocaine which is a numbing agent? I'm at my wits end. I'm way too cranky, in constant dire pain and can barely formulate complete thoughts or sentences when under attack. How can one feasibly work under these conditions???

I owe my Neurologist around 3K for procedures my insurance didn't fully cover. I have no idea how to pay that when I can't hold a job because of the pain and inability to focus, concentrate and perform 'menial' tasks. My quality of life sucks and I want a resolution.

I think we need to ban together an attack the american medical association as well as CONGRESS. The government is stopping most of the research and medications that could actually benefit us. I pay taxes because I have to...but in reality, I almost wish I could just die.

carpetcrawler5 replied to Tygr417's response:
I'm having trouble with both of these posts because I guess I don't know what your question is? What meds have you tried?

Also, I'm wondering what you meant by "congress is cutting your financial support" in what way? Because if that's the case I sure would want to know about that and if it affects me. I think they are trying to cut things in congress because they're being forced to and they can't seem to compromise.

Try putting in for disability again, many times they automatically reject you and if you try again they will accept. because I think you may qualify if things are that bad and nothing works for you. Did you apply with Social Security or your job? If you've worked that long, there isn't any reason to stop you from getting these benefits. but they like it better if you're not working, because if you are they will wonder how you got to work if you can't work. So you have to be off for awhile. (for Soc.Sec.)

Also, if you want to get into a medical trial, bear in mind that they only take CERTAIN people, meaning they can't have any other medical conditions and you can't be on a huge amount of pain meds so you would have to be off of them for awhile and they give you a blood test and check everything.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center