Skip to content
Namenda and Migraines?
donmol posted:
I went do to see my Neurologist today and believe it or not she has put me on Namenda for Migarines. Has any one else heard of this for treatment of Migraines? I would like to hear from anyone if they have. She told me if this does not work the next step would be Botox injections which I am not crazy about either but I need to do something 5 migraines a month is way too many. I am currently on the maxium of Topamax and have tried the Depakote and all the other Migraine meds she said so this is the last step before the Botox. Please let me know if you have any insight on the Namenda. Thank you,

itmatsb responded:
Hi, I'm wondering why you don't want to take the Namenda? I haven't' taken it, but Botox injections have tremendously helped me. I'm assuming that the reason why you are resistant to the Botox is because it is injected. Yes, it hurts, but not nearly as much as my migraines. If that's your problem, maybe they could give you some light anesthesia or medication to put you out some for the procedure.

Another treatment that has also helped me a lot, are nerve block injections which don't hurt as much as the Botox does.

Have you tried accuncture (oh yes the needles) or massage or biofeedback?

Of course I had migraines every day of the month. But it will come down to your choice about which is worse.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Actually the needles they use for accupuncture are very tiny and you can hardly feel them,

Anyway do you know how much I would love to have only 5 migraines a month? You might be able to just use coffee and keep them under control, much better than getting needles stuck in your face. Just when the pain first starts, grab a latte and you might stop it. Don't eat or drink any type of caffeine if you don't have a headache, because you could get the opposite effect. So just wait until it comes back again a week later (I get the pain about twice an hour) and you could get them under control. And if they get really bad, take Imitrex. Does that help you at all? Not everyone can take that. Sure wish that worked for me.

itmatsb replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
To carpetcrawler5,
So sorry to hear that you get the pain twice an hour. How long does your pain last each time? You don't get the pain 24/7 twice an hour, or do you?

I used to have severe to moderate migraines 24/7, but now most days they are mild and I get severe ones twice a week. Except if I do too much the severe migraine can last anywhere from 3 to 11 days straight and that includes the ER.

I see your answers a lot. You're a good sport to answer so many.

Sara

An_253231 responded:
I have been taking Namenda for 3 years. My neurologist gave me a trial packet because I was having short-term memory problems (losing nouns and forgetting where I parked the car). As I was building up to the full dose, I noticed that I had not had any migraines (I was having 2-4 a month). I had no migraines for three months and the first one was of shorter duration.
Now that I have been on it for a long time the effect is less pronounced (1-2 times a month) but the migraines are still gone more quickly.
If I forget to take it as scheduled, I am likely to get a migraine.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center