Skip to content
Normal MRI & EEG Results, but continuing severe headaches...
Kohanna posted:
I am a 30-year-old female, 5'2 and weigh 130 lbs. I recently visited my neurologist and had an MRI and an EEG test, as well as a CAT scan all the tests came back normal. I have had severe headaches since July of last year. During the last part of the month of September of 2011, I blacked out for an entire day and went missing. My family had to call the police to locate me. This has never happened before. I told my neurologist all of this during the visit. She prescribed me Topamax, 25 mg, starting with 1/2 a tab for the first week with an increase each week. I now take two tablets of Topamax each evening before bedtime. In addition to this, she also prescribed Butalbital, 1 tablet by mouth as needed for pain. However, I still suffer from the headaches, only not as frequently as before. I still forget things and I tend to stare or space out from time to time. I just wish I knew what was wrong with me. The only other health problem I have ever suffered from in the past was juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, acid reflux, and a gallbladder removal surgery in late July of last year; which was not long after the headaches started. Can anyone help me?

carpetcrawler5 responded:
So sorry about this for you. Hope you weren't driving.

If you are doing better with the Topamax, that is a good thing. Many of us don't respond to preventative meds at all. how much are you taking? Some pople take around 200 mgs a day.

Has your neuro given you any Imitrex? For most people it works better than Butalbital..

Kohanna replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I now take two 25mg tablets of Topamax each day before bedtime. So far it appears to prevent most of my headaches! Which is a good thing for me. Although, I still have severe headaches, so I am not completely headache-free! I am now able to tell when the headaches are about to start. I noticed a recent change in my headache patterns: I now have the auras, with the colors appearing before my eyes 15-10 minutes before a headache starts. So now at least I have a signal to look out for. Although I still suffer from the acute memory loss and cognitive problems. Lately I have been forgetting things I would normally never forget, such as pin numbers and passwords, or my social! It is kind of embarassing to be standing in line getting ready to pay for something and forgetting my pin number. Hopefully at my upcoming neruo appointment on Feb. 23, she can answer some of these pressing questions. I thank you for your suggestions and support.

Klbirchard85 replied to Kohanna's response:
How is topamax going for you now? I've been on 100 mg a day 25mg when I wake up 75mg when I go to sleep, plus the Nero has me taking 25mg amartipalyn and 40mg relpax. When I don't have a migraine I'm tired and angry most of the time and since I started topamax back in oct I've become very aggitated and I also am becoming forgetful of things, and I'm only 28 now:(. All of my test have come back normal, and the medication hasn't really lowered the frequency of the migraines but on the plus side I've lost 30lbs and almost everything I eat tastes weird!

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 109 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center