Skip to content
Unsatisfied with neurologist
moon_glint12 posted:
Had an appt with a neuro b/c of symptoms.. Provided him with the results of a head CT scan that I had previously. Explained what was going on and he ordered an MRI of the bones in my neck which showed no signs of a problem. He referred me to a pain clinic with no further testing. I was shocked to say the least! Still having symptoms and I want an MRI of my brain done. Would it be out of line to insist to the neuro that I have one? I have an appt in two weeks.

CozyTime responded:
A MRI varies from a CT. When researching my migraines I've only had MRI'S were my sinus area gets CTS.

I have always asked for specific test. If they get grumpy I tell them I have insurance so it shouldn't be I problem and I'd feel LOTS of relief. Sometimes your body talks to you. I say listen.

Other wise ask for a reg feral for a second opinion....

My best wishes they find nothing

itmatsb responded:
You said that you provided your neuro with a previous head CT scan. Why would you want another one? And do you realize the amount of radiation in a CT scan? The amount can vary 13 fold between CT scans, but it typically gives you 500 times the amount of radiation from a chest x-ray and is linked with excess cancer risk.

If you need it, it's always best to get, but in your case. . . ?

I had several CT scans during my stroke which the dye led to permanent kidney failure. And I really think that it raised my risk of cancer significantly.

THINK AGAIN!!!

CozyTime replied to itmatsb's response:
She doesn't tell us how old the CT was and seems to feel something's not right. I've had that feeling and been right. If the Dr just did her neck he should have told her before she went why!?

We don't have all the info but I think she'd feel better with a second opinion and you've given her a great question to ask him. Good info. Take care

moon_glint12 replied to itmatsb's response:
I would like an MRI done not another CT scan. "MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It uses no ionizing radiation. It uses magnetic fields to cause Hydrogen atoms to move and rotate so the machine can detect them. The movement actually gives off radio frequencies. That is the only "radiation" involved in an MRI scan, and it is not harmful.
It is completely different from an x-ray, where ionizing radiation is shot through an item and a sensitive film detects the radiation that is not absorbed by the item.

So yes, radiation is involved in an MRI, but not the "bad kind" of radiation."

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Did your dr think part of your headaches are caused by anything going on in your neck, and is that the reason why he gave you an MRI of the bones in your neck?

itmatsb responded:
Yes, you're right that I misread your posting which was really asking for another MRI. So sorry. My migraines have been really severe the last 12 days. A brain problem for me too apparently.

Yes, you should ask the doctor WHY didn't he want you to have a brain MRI? Maybe the reason is because a CT scan is superior to find things, but maybe not. And you didn't say how long ago the CT scan was. But a second opinion is always a good idea if you feel that you are not getting proper attention.

moon_glint12 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Yes, he thought I may have degenerative disc disease.

moon_glint12 replied to itmatsb's response:
I had the CT scan on 1/30/12 and it was of the head. I had a very strange and scary thing happen to me yesterday. My husband and I decided to go for a drive. He was driving and I kept having a burning pain moving up my neck and into my head. The back of my neck felt like it was on fire and then it would radiate up into my head. At one time I felt the right side of my head go numb for few seconds. We stopped for gas and I went into the gas station to get something to drink. I was standing in line and started to feel odd. The burning pain came again, the numbness on the right side and I felt like I was going to pass out. I then realize that my heart is pounding very hard too. Someone helped me sit down for a few minutes and then I got back in the truck. I told my husband that I needed to go home.

The back of my neck continued to burn without letting up. When I got home I laid down for a couple of hours and the pain didn't let up. I took a Bupap that the ER prescribed when I was there on 1/30/12 and that didn't help. Went to bed at 10:30 and didn't sleep all night.

Today I have had the burning a few times but I am very careful about turning my head or looking down or up. I have been telling my neurologist about this burning sensation for MONTHS and he finally has decided to do an EMG which I think is a waste of time.

I am thoroughly exhausted and so tired of all the pain. Thank goodness I'm not employed outside the home and my children are raised.

I welcome any suggestions or comments or HELP! Thank you.

allie_bf replied to moon_glint12's response:
Definitely keep the appointments for both the pain management doctor and the EMG appointment with your neurologist. If you are having radiating pain and tingling, with headaches, it sounds like the neurologist is heading you in the right direction. Especially if the EMG findings are positive, the docs can decide if you need a neurosurgical consult (unlikely if the MRI of the neck was negative,) or could benefit from conservative therapy, or perhaps a trial of epidural steroids. You can ask again about the MRI of the brain if you are still worried, but understand that, just as it's okay for you to ask, it's okay for the doctor to say no if he/she feels it's not appropriate.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 109 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center