Skip to content
Constant, mild, dull headache that has lasted for more than a week now?
Uffdah62 posted:
In the last week or so, I have noticed that I am experiencing a mild, but constant dull headache. It's lasted for more than a week now. It kind of feels like a cross between an altitude sickness headache--though I live only 600 feet or so above sea level--and a minor sinus headache--though I have no sinus difficulties either. I hate to think the worst, but could this be a sign of something serious like a brain cancer or something? Should I consult my internist and perhaps seek a PET scan or MRI?

jenlewi responded:
What kind of weather have you been having? Sometimes abrupt weather changes will give me low-grade headaches that last until the weather is stable for 48 hours.

Going to your doctor to find out about new or worsening symptoms is a good idea, but start at the low end of the panic scale, because worrying about the worst will only drive your blood pressure up, which will aggravate your headache.

Also, sinus infections can be present without the classic symptoms at the beginning. I'm rather prone to them, so I know that if my cheeks hurt or my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my face or even if my hearing is affected, it's time to get tested and 9 times out of 10, it's time for an antibiotic.

Do NOT seek the big tests until the little ones have been done. Starting as small as possible will spare you a great deal of pain and aggravation, as well as saving you a ton of money. If your problem is as simple as a sinus infection, the expensive tests will show nothing, take a long time and are very uncomfortable when you've already got a headache.

Best of luck.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Although I doubt it's brain cancer, if your symptoms are in your forehead or nasal area you might get an MRI of your sinuses.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center