Skip to content
migraine medication
1morski1951 posted:
Years ago my doctor took me from prescription medication to Excedrin Migraine-which works very well for me. Now that they have had to pull it off the shelves-I am without anything to use, Has anyone heard or aware of when it may become available back on the shelves again?
1morski1951

Swimgirl57 responded:
Yes, I called the manufacturing company and they say probably by mid-year. You can still get the little packs of Extra Strength Excedrin in the convenience stores, like AM/PM mini marts or any of the gas stations with mini-marts in them. I know it's not the Excedrin Migraine but I compared the two and they have the same exact ingredients - you probably just need to take two of the extra strength pills. I know how you feel, Excedrin is the best over the counter pill for some of my headaches. Good luck.

Weezie6452 responded:
My neuro recommended using Blowfish in place of Bayer AM and Excedrin Migraine, both are off the market. It's a combination of aspirin and caffeine, in a fizzy tab like Alka Seltzer, and no acetaminophen.

They market it for hangovers, so I was hesitant at first (and the name is pretty funny!) but it really works well. I just take one tab early like you would with the other ones. I've only found Blowfish online but it's worth looking for.

Hope this helps.?

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Aspirin isn't a good med to take, because you can get rebounds when they wear off. You're better off just drinking a cup of coffee next time your headache just starts to come on. That's the ingredient in the Excedrin thing.

Weezie6452 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Excedrin Migraine contains aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine. My understanding is that caffeine boosts the effect of the pain relievers. Blowfish is a good substitute for Excedrin Migraine since it has similar, though not identical, ingredients.

I also like this Blowfish product because it doesn't have acetaminophen, some of my other meds already have plenty of that.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center