Skip to content
Headaches
daman123 posted:
My headaches are similar to hangover headache., bending over increases the pain 100 fold. What type of headache/migraine could this be....

SinceIwas25 responded:
Dear deman123,

When I have a migraine, I almost always feel a sharper headache pain when I bend over, like when I'm trying to finish up the laundry - taking clothes out of the dryer. But my Neurologist told me a long time ago that this was a symptom of a migraine. In fact, if I'm not sure if I have one and if I should take Zomig spray or not, I'll bend over and shake my head around to check for the familiar migraine headache pain. (Because you're supposed to take it at the first sign that you have the headache.) It is not any type of headache that I know of, and my doctor didn't say, "OMG, you are going to die tomorrow!" It is just one of those things, like sometimes I'll feel like I might throw up, but usually not. People that don't have nausea or 'bending over' pain cannot be accused of not having a migraine. And I've never had a hangover, and don't ever intend to have one. I don't want to cause myself any more pain or torture than I have to!

jenlewi replied to SinceIwas25's response:
Bending over, exertion, sudden movements and anything else that changes the amount of circulation in the head is going to cause a headache to get worse. Migraines seem to be most indicative of this effect, but even sinus headaches will react to bending and exertion. The startle reflex is the worst thing in the world for a stress headache. The WAY your pain reacts to these stimulus is how you determine what type of headache you've got, not the fact that your pain reacts.

carpetcrawler5 replied to jenlewi's response:
I can't bend over at all or I'll get a migraine. Try this: don't do anything excertive when you first wake up. Plan on doing everything after you have had your breakfast and relaxewd for awhile. I think it has something to do with melotonin and serotonin level while you're asleep and awake.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center