Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

headaches
    An_244819 posted:
    I fell a while back and bang my head- they said I had a minor concussion. I did have a Cats Scan done which came back normal but I am still getting slight headaches in the back of my head from time to time- is this normal?? How long should a concusiion last about?

allie_bf responded:
    Headaches after a head injury can go on for weeks to months to years; unfortunately, there's just no telling, and the degree of head injury doesn't always match up well with the headache. If you're not having any other symptoms (e.g. dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting, blurred vision, etc.) it's probably not anything to worry about, but it never hurts to have your doctor check you out.

jenlewi responded:
    As a veteran of too many concussions, I can say the concussion doesn't last long, but the pain is variable. If a concussion is accompanied by any other injury, it seems to be more painful for both. Strangely, the ones with good-size goose eggs seemed to heal and stop hurting more quickly than the ones with no external swelling. Thankfully, it's been a long time since my last concussion, but I'm a natural klutz, so it's only a matter of time. My Freshman year of high school, I was my own nightlight from all the skull x-rays! (3 concussions in 4 months, all from such stupid accidents that at least one nurse had to duck out into the hall to giggle when I'd tell them what I'd done.)

The rule of thumb I've always followed is that if you have any other symptoms, call the doctor, but if it's only pain and it's not debilitating, ignore it, ice it, or medicate it, in that order.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
    A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    53 of 70 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center