Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
headaches
An_244819 posted:
I fell a while back and bang my head- they said I had a minor concussion. I did have a Cats Scan done which came back normal but I am still getting slight headaches in the back of my head from time to time- is this normal?? How long should a concusiion last about?

allie_bf responded:
Headaches after a head injury can go on for weeks to months to years; unfortunately, there's just no telling, and the degree of head injury doesn't always match up well with the headache. If you're not having any other symptoms (e.g. dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting, blurred vision, etc.) it's probably not anything to worry about, but it never hurts to have your doctor check you out.

jenlewi responded:
As a veteran of too many concussions, I can say the concussion doesn't last long, but the pain is variable. If a concussion is accompanied by any other injury, it seems to be more painful for both. Strangely, the ones with good-size goose eggs seemed to heal and stop hurting more quickly than the ones with no external swelling. Thankfully, it's been a long time since my last concussion, but I'm a natural klutz, so it's only a matter of time. My Freshman year of high school, I was my own nightlight from all the skull x-rays! (3 concussions in 4 months, all from such stupid accidents that at least one nurse had to duck out into the hall to giggle when I'd tell them what I'd done.)

The rule of thumb I've always followed is that if you have any other symptoms, call the doctor, but if it's only pain and it's not debilitating, ignore it, ice it, or medicate it, in that order.

Helpful Tips

Migranes
I have found that taking 2 excedrine migrane and two benedryl helps with most of mine better that perscription pain pills More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center