Skip to content
Preventative meds?
Jammitt55 posted:
I was on nortryptiline as a preventative med and was moved up to 125 mg as the headaches kept occurring. This caused a severe reaction where I was shakey and felt like I would collapse. The Neuro has now put me on Amitryptiline to see if I tolerate that better. I'm just up to 50mg as of 2 days ago. Today was my 1st relatively pain free day in a wk. My question is for those who've been on this RX - how much did you need to increase the dosage to get relief. And what is the frequency of your headaches now? Thx.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I take 150 mgs, but if it's helpuing you at the dose you're taking, I would stay at that dose, because there are a lot of side effects with it(most go away with time).

Jammitt55 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Thx for the response. had a headache and went up to 75 mg for awhile. Jittery feelings came back so dropping back down to 50 mg again to see how it goes. What type of side effects did you have and how long until they went away?

carpetcrawler5 replied to Jammitt55's response:
I have been taking Elavil for over 20 years, so I can't remember all of the side effects I had back when I first took it, but the only side effect I get now is drwosiness, which is good because they help me sleep.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
80 of 109 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center