Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 Year old dealing with head migraines and abdominal migraines
LovetoRun4 posted:
My 8 year old started off getting migraines when he was 5 yrs old and so we started seeing a neurologist. He started him with amitryptline and magnesium. The migraines became manageable. The Doctor also told us to put him on a diet of no preservatices or msg and defently no nitrates or nitrites. (Which is in everything) It seemed to be getting better but he still suffers about 3 times a year with migraines to the point of throwing up non-stop to being in the emergency room for IV fluids. In the last 6 months he has had a combo of head migraine and abdominal migraine. And of course the throwing up comes along with it too. I have tried zofran and it doesnt help either. We go to the emergency room just for them to tell me its the stomach flu every time. I am at my wits end. My son suffers and I can't do anything about it. Is there anyone that has advice for me. My neurologist seems to be to busy to call me back and my pediatritian of course doesn't know what to tell me. I think we might try a GI Doctor.

allie_bf responded:
I've found that the best migraine preventative for abdominal migraine is verapamil, but I don't know how suitable this is for pediatric use (some adults can't use it either because it's an antihypertensive.) It definitely cuts down the abdominal spasms associated with migraine though. Zofran cuts the nausea, but it didn't do much for my colicy pain either.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Next time he just starts to get a head migraine, give him some chocolate. Might work, but not for the abdominal ones.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center