migraine with aura
An_245465 posted:
My husband suffered a cancerous brain tumor in 1953. They tried to operate but it was too dangerous and the brain was swelling out of the holes. They disolved the tumor with "cobalt" (radiation). He is 64 years old now and has been suffering horrible migraines with aura. Have there been any connections shown between the two? He is also has trouble with verbal communication during this time and feels like he is losing his eyesight during these episodes. Do you have any suggestions? Dr.'s have prescribed medications but they haven't had any success with stopping them. He has metal clips in his head so he can't have a CT scan. Other scans have not shown anything. He is suffering these headaches several times a week and sometimes several times a day.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

I am not an expert but I hope that others here have some thoughts for you.

You say 'other scans'; has he had an MRI? Is he seeing a neurologist? Any neurologist should be working closely with him to find the answers he needs.

Is he on any medication for this?

I'm sorry he's suffering so much and I'm sure this is hard on you too.

grannyfern6 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for reading this. He can't have an MRI because of the metal clips in his head. I was confused when I wrote CT scan couldn't be done. He did have a CT scan and nothing out of the ordinary showed up. He was given some medications from a neurologist but they didn't help. The neurologist worked with him for a year and then gave up. Our health care doesn't allow us to just go to anyone so we are stumped as to what to do next. I just was wondering if anyone else had migraines after brain tumor and what, if anything, helped.

jenlewi responded:
If his auras begin before the pain, it give you a limited time to control the migraine. I occasionally have that, and if I immediately get to a dark, quiet room to lay down, it minimizes the headache. Otherwise, I can't really offer much help other than to suggest a desperately detailed headache diary for diagnosis since the tests aren't an option.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Usually, before they take out the tumor you would have the headaches. The fact that he is getting them AFTERWARDS, means there can definitley be something going on, and there has to be a way to get a scan. Because you never know what it could be, maybe they didn't get it al out, or some other thing.

grannyfern6 replied to jenlewi's response:
His auras do come first but nothing that has been prescribed helps. He can't always get to a dark quiet room because they come while he is working. The sunlight really bothers him and his eyes are giving him trouble too. Thanks for responding. You gave some good info. We have also tried the headache diary but when these headaches come he can't speak or write and then he doesn't remember all of the details later to write them down.

grannyfern6 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Thanks for responding. His brain tumor was in 1953 when he was 5 years old. He had terrible headaches along with other symptoms. The tumor was in a dangerous place. They didn't know too much about braintumors back then. They blasted his body with cobalt to get rid of the tumor. He had another cancerous tumor in his neck in 1981. What a difference between the treatments in 1953 and the treatments in 1981!! I worry everytime he gets a headache that a tumor has returned. The tumor in 1981 was very strange and was sent to California to determine what it was. It had a very long strange name. The Dr. said it was very rare and could return anywhere in his body at anytime. Scary stuff.