Stabbing migraine for over a week.
RhiannonHarrison posted:
About a year ago I started getting strange headaches more than a few times a month that come on very strong and abruptly (sometimes with a generous warning of seeing stars), and feel like someone is repeatedly stabbing the left side of my head with a rusty, jagged screw driver every time I take a breath (if I hold my breath the pain lessens). This pain is amplified whenever I stand up and will blind my left eye for about 5 seconds. It literally feels like my brain is going to explode out of my skull, causing me to clutch my face in pure agony. I am not sensitive to sound but in some instances light will bother only my left eye. The pain is always in the same exact spot, thankfully never moving to the right side.

With this headache I experience nausea, dizziness, confusion, blurred vision, trouble balancing, and an all around lethargic/ energy-less mood. It even causes my muscles to ache as if I have the Flu. I should add that this particular headache/migraine has been accompanying me for over a week now. I know, I know lucky me... right? No OTC meds seem to alleviate the pain whatsoever.

I have a history of migraines, literally since I was 7 (I am now 19), so I know the difference between this and a migraine. I have been to multiple Doctors and Neurologists and have had numerous CT scans, everything was normal. I was put on Topamax in hopes to prevent future migraines, but that did nothing.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me babble! I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. And if so, if I should just keep wearing my big girl panties and move along with my day. Thanks again!

Another side note, I eat well, am not over or underweight and I drink a good amount of water daily.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Rhiannon,

Since it sounds like what you're experiencing now is significantly differently than your usual migraines, it's time to return to your doctor and start pursuing answers, hopefully with a neurologist.

Even when we have a chronic condition, we should never assume that new symptoms are part of the same. See your doctor to ensure your health.

And I hope you'll let us know how you're doing.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Are you sure it isn't related to your migraines? All of the symptoms sound like one. Does Imitrex ever help this type of one for you?